1. Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Sloan AE, Davis FG, Vigneau FD, Lai P, et al. Incidence proportions of brain metastases in patients diagnosed (1973 to 2001) in the Metropolitan Detroit Cancer Surveillance System. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2865-72.
2. Schouten LJ, Rutten J, Huveneers HA, Twijnstra A. Incidence of brain metastases in a cohort of patients with carcinoma of the breast, colon, kidney, and lung and melanoma. Cancer 2002;94:2698-705.
3. Zhang I, Zaorsky NG, Palmer JD, Mehra R, Lu B. Targeting brain metastases in ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer. Lancet Oncol 2015;16:e510-21.
4. Johung KL, Yeh N, Desai NB, Williams TM, Lautenschlaeger T, et al. Extended survival and prognostic factors for patients with ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer and brain metastasis. J Clin Oncol 2016;34:123-9.
5. Asher AL, Burri SH, Wiggins WF, Kelly RP, Boltes MO, et al. A new treatment paradigm: neoadjuvant radiosurgery before surgical resection of brain metastases with analysis of local tumor recurrence. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2014;88:899-906.
6. Churilla TM, Weiss SE. Emerging trends in the management of brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer. Curr Oncol Rep 2018;20:54.
7. Sperduto PW, Kased N, Roberge D, Xu Z, Shanley R, et al. Summary report on the graded prognostic assessment: an accurate and facile diagnosis-specific tool to estimate survival for patients with brain metastases. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:419-25.
8. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2016 Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2016.
9. Sperduto PW, Yang TJ, Beal K, Pan H, Brown PD, et al. The effect of gene alterations and tyrosine kinase inhibition on survival and cause of death in patients with adenocarcinoma of the lung and brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016;96:406-13.
10. Gaspar L, Scott C, Rotman M, Asbell S, Phillips T, et al. Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;37:745-51.
11. Sperduto PW, Chao ST, Sneed PK, Luo X, Suh J, et al. Diagnosis-specific prognostic factors, indexes, and treatment outcomes for patients with newly diagnosed brain metastases: a multi-institutional analysis of 4,259 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010;77:655-61.
12. Sperduto PW, Yang TJ, Beal K, Pan H, Brown PD, et al. Estimating survival in patients with lung cancer and brain metastases: an update of the graded prognostic assessment for lung cancer using molecular markers (lung-molGPA). JAMA Oncol 2017;3:827-31.
13. Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Walsh JW, Dempsey RJ, Maruyama Y, et al. A randomized trial of surgery in the treatment of single metastases to the brain. N Engl J Med 1990;322:494-500.
14. Weinberg JS, Lang FF, Sawaya R. Surgical management of brain metastases. Curr Oncol Rep 2001;3:476-83.
15. Al-Shamy G, Sawaya R. Management of brain metastases: the indispensable role of surgery. J Neurooncol 2009;92:275-82.
16. Kalkanis SN, Kondziolka D, Gaspar LE, Burri SH, Asher AL, et al. The role of surgical resection in the management of newly diagnosed brain metastases: a systematic review and evidence-based clinical practice guideline. J Neurooncol 2010;96:33-43.
17. Andrews DW, Scott CB, Sperduto PW, Flanders AE, Gaspar LE, et al. Whole brain radiation therapy with or without stereotactic radiosurgery boost for patients with one to three brain metastases: phase III results of the RTOG 9508 randomised trial. Lancet 2004;363:1665-72.
18. Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Regine WF, Dempsey RJ, Mohiuddin M, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy in the treatment of single metastases to the brain: a randomized trial. JAMA 1998;280:1485-9.
19. Auchter RM, Lamond JP, Alexander E, Buatti JM, Chappell R, et al. A multiinstitutional outcome and prognostic factor analysis of radiosurgery for resectable single brain metastasis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1996;35:27-35.
20. Muacevic A, Kreth FW, Horstmann GA, Schmid-Elsaesser R, Wowra B, et al. Surgery and radiotherapy compared with gamma knife radiosurgery in the treatment of solitary cerebral metastases of small diameter. J Neurosurg 1999;91:35-43.
21. Muacevic A, Wowra B, Siefert A, Tonn JC, Steiger HJ, et al. Microsurgery plus whole brain irradiation versus Gamma Knife surgery alone for treatment of single metastases to the brain: a randomized controlled multicentre phase III trial. J Neurooncol 2008;87:299-307.
22. Churilla TM CI, Chowdury IH, Handorf E, Collette L, Collette S, et al. Comparison of local control of brain metastasis with stereotactic radiosurgery versus surgical resection: a secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Oncol 2018; doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.4610.
23. Kelly PJ, Lin YB, Yu AY, Alexander BM, Hacker F, et al. Stereotactic irradiation of the postoperative resection cavity for brain metastasis: a frameless linear accelerator-based case series and review of the technique. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012;82:95-101.
24. Soltys SG, Adler JR, Lipani JD, Jackson PS, Choi CY, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery of the postoperative resection cavity for brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008;70:187-93.
25. Brennan C, Yang TJ, Hilden P, Zhang Z, Chan K, et al. A phase 2 trial of stereotactic radiosurgery boost after surgical resection for brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2014;88:130-6.
26. Kępka L, Tyc-Szczepaniak D, Bujko K, Olszyna-Serementa M, Michalski W, et al. Stereotactic radiotherapy of the tumor bed compared to whole brain radiotherapy after surgery of single brain metastasis: results from a randomized trial. Radiother Oncol 2016;121:217-24.
27. Atalar B, Modlin LA, Choi CY, Adler JR, Gibbs IC, et al. Risk of leptomeningeal disease in patients treated with stereotactic radiosurgery targeting the postoperative resection cavity for brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013;87:713-8.
28. Johnson MD, Avkshtol V, Baschnagel AM, Meyer K, Ye H, et al. Surgical resection of brain metastases and the risk of leptomeningeal recurrence in patients treated with stereotactic radiosurgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016;94:537-43.
29. Soliman H, Ruschin M, Angelov L, Brown PD, Chiang VLS, et al. Consensus contouring guidelines for postoperative completely resected cavity stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2018;100:436-42.
30. Patel KR, Burri SH, Boselli D, Symanowski JT, Asher AL, et al. Comparing pre-operative stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) to post-operative whole brain radiation therapy (WBRT) for resectable brain metastases: a multi-institutional analysis. J Neurooncol 2017;131:611-8.
31. NRG Oncology. NRG Oncology Semiannual Meeting 2016. Available from: https://www.nrgoncology.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TTkEMgz9_7U%3D&portalid=0. [Last accessed on 17 Jan 2019].
32. Sperduto PW, Shanley R, Luo X, Andrews D, Werner-Wasik M, et al. Secondary analysis of RTOG 9508, a phase 3 randomized trial of whole-brain radiation therapy versus WBRT plus stereotactic radiosurgery in patients with 1-3 brain metastases; poststratified by the graded prognostic assessment (GPA). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2014;90:526-31.
33. Aoyama H, Shirato H, Tago M, Nakagawa K, Toyoda T, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery plus whole-brain radiation therapy vs stereotactic radiosurgery alone for treatment of brain metastases: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006;295:2483-91.
34. Chang EL, Wefel JS, Hess KR, Allen PK, Lang FF, et al. Neurocognition in patients with brain metastases treated with radiosurgery or radiosurgery plus whole-brain irradiation: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:1037-44.
35. Kocher M, Soffietti R, Abacioglu U, Villà S, Fauchon F, et al. Adjuvant whole-brain radiotherapy versus observation after radiosurgery or surgical resection of one to three cerebral metastases: results of the EORTC 22952-26001 study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:134-41.
36. Tsao M, Xu W, Sahgal A. A meta-analysis evaluating stereotactic radiosurgery, whole-brain radiotherapy, or both for patients presenting with a limited number of brain metastases. Cancer 2012;118:2486-93.
37. Brown PD, Jaeckle K, Ballman KV, Farace E, Cerhan JH, et al. Effect of radiosurgery alone vs radiosurgery with whole brain radiation therapy on cognitive function in patients with 1 to 3 brain metastases: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2016;316:401-9.
38. Aoyama H, Tago M, Shirato H; Japanese Radiation Oncology Study Group 99-1 (JROSG 99-1) Investigators. Stereotactic radiosurgery with or without whole-brain radiotherapy for brain metastases: secondary analysis of the JROSG 99-1 randomized clinical trial. JAMA Oncol 2015;1:457-64.
39. Churilla TM, Handorf E, Collette S, Collette L, Dong Y, et al. Whole brain radiotherapy after stereotactic radiosurgery or surgical resection among patients with one to three brain metastases and favorable prognoses: a secondary analysis of EORTC 22952-26001. Ann Oncol 2017;28:2588-94.
40. Sahgal A, Aoyama H, Kocher M, Neupane B, Collette S, et al. Phase 3 trials of stereotactic radiosurgery with or without whole-brain radiation therapy for 1 to 4 brain metastases: individual patient data meta-analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2015;91:710-7.
41. Churilla TM, Ballman KV, Brown PD, Twohy EL, Jaeckle K, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery with or without whole-brain radiation therapy for limited brain metastases: a secondary analysis of the North Central Cancer Treatment Group N0574 (Alliance) randomized controlled trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2017;99:1173-8.
42. Aoyama H, Tago M, Kato N, Toyoda T, Kenjyo M, et al. Neurocognitive function of patients with brain metastasis who received either whole brain radiotherapy plus stereotactic radiosurgery or radiosurgery alone. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007;68:1388-95.
43. Meyers CA, Wefel JS. The use of the mini-mental state examination to assess cognitive functioning in cancer trials: no ifs, ands, buts, or sensitivity. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:3557-8.
44. Soffietti R, Kocher M, Abacioglu UM, Villa S, Fauchon F, et al. A European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer phase III trial of adjuvant whole-brain radiotherapy versus observation in patients with one to three brain metastases from solid tumors after surgical resection or radiosurgery: quality-of-life results. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:65-72.
45. ASTRO Update. Ten things physicians and patients should question. Available from: https://www.reproductivefacts.org/news-and-publications/choosing-wisely2/. [Last accessed on 24 Jan 2019].
46. Meyers CA, Smith JA, Bezjak A, Mehta MP, Liebmann J, et al. Neurocognitive function and progression in patients with brain metastases treated with whole-brain radiation and motexafin gadolinium: results of a randomized phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:157-65.
47. Regine WF, Huhn JL, Patchell RA, St Clair WH, Strottmann J, et al. Risk of symptomatic brain tumor recurrence and neurologic deficit after radiosurgery alone in patients with newly diagnosed brain metastases: results and implications. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002;52:333-8.
48. Tsao MN, Rades D, Wirth A, Lo SS, Danielson BL, et al. Radiotherapeutic and surgical management for newly diagnosed brain metastasis(es): an American Society for Radiation Oncology evidence-based guideline. Pract Radiat Oncol 2012;2:210-25.
49. Mulvenna P, Nankivell M, Barton R, Faivre-Finn C, Wilson P, et al. Dexamethasone and supportive care with or without whole brain radiotherapy in treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer with brain metastases unsuitable for resection or stereotactic radiotherapy (QUARTZ): results from a phase 3, non-inferiority, randomised trial. Lancet 2016;388:2004-14.
50. Gondi V, Hermann BP, Mehta MP, Tomé WA. Hippocampal dosimetry predicts neurocognitive function impairment after fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for benign or low-grade adult brain tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013;85:348-54.
51. Gondi V, Pugh SL, Tome WA, Caine C, Corn B, et al. Preservation of memory with conformal avoidance of the hippocampal neural stem-cell compartment during whole-brain radiotherapy for brain metastases (RTOG 0933): a phase II multi-institutional trial. J Clin Oncol 2014;32:3810-6.
52. Oehlke O, Wucherpfennig D, Fels F, Frings L, Egger K, et al. Whole brain irradiation with hippocampal sparing and dose escalation on multiple brain metastases: local tumour control and survival. Strahlenther Onkol 2015;191:461-9.
53. Gondi V, Deshmukh S, Brown PD, Wefel JS, Tome WA, et al. Preservation of neurocognitive function with conformal avoidance of the hippocampus during whole-brain radiotherapy for brain metastases: preliminary results of phase III trial. Available from: https://www.astro.org/ASTRO/media/ASTRO/Meetings%20and%20Education/PDFs/BOA18/FullTextAbstracts.pdf. [Last accessed on 24 Jan 2019].
54. Brown PD, Pugh S, Laack NN, Wefel JS, Khuntia D, et al. Memantine for the prevention of cognitive dysfunction in patients receiving whole-brain radiotherapy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Neuro Oncol 2013;15:1429-37.
55. ClinicalTrials.gov. Memantine hydrochloride and whole-brain radiotherapy with or without hippocampal avoidance in reducing neurocognitive decline in patients with brain metastases. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02360215?cond=Memantine+Hippocampus&rank=1. [Last accessed on 17 Jan 2019].
56. Yamamoto M, Serizawa T, Shuto T, Akabane A, Higuchi Y, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with multiple brain metastases (JLGK0901): a multi-institutional prospective observational study. Lancet Oncol 2014;15:387-95.
57. Yamamoto M, Serizawa T, Higuchi Y, Sato Y, Kawagishi J, et al. A multi-institutional prospective observational study of stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with multiple brain metastases (JLGK0901 study update): irradiation-related complications and long-term maintenance of mini-mental state examination scores. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2017;99:31-40.
58. ClinicalTrials.gov. Stereotactic radiosurgery compared with whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT) for 5-15 brain metastases. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03550391. [Last accessed on 24 Jan 2019].
59. ClinicalTrials.gov. Whole brain radiation versus stereotactic radiation (SRS) in patients with 5-20 brain metastases: a phase III, randomized clinical trial. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03075072?term=NCT03075072&rank=1. [Last accessed on 17 Jan 2019].
60. Eaton BR, LaRiviere MJ, Kim S, Prabhu RS, Patel K, et al. Hypofractionated radiosurgery has a better safety profile than single fraction radiosurgery for large resected brain metastases. J Neurooncol 2015;123:103-11.
61. Loganadane G, Hendriks L, Le Péchoux C, Levy A. The current role of whole brain radiation therapy in non-small cell lung cancer patients. J Thorac Oncol 2017;12:1467-77.
62. Park SJ, Kim HT, Lee DH, Kim KP, Kim SW, et al. Efficacy of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors for brain metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer patients harboring either exon 19 or 21 mutation. Lung Cancer 2012;77:556-60.
63. Iuchi T, Shingyoji M, Sakaida T, Hatano K, Nagano O, et al. Phase II trial of gefitinib alone without radiation therapy for Japanese patients with brain metastases from EGFR-mutant lung adenocarcinoma. Lung Cancer 2013;82:282-7.
64. Wu YL, Zhou C, Cheng Y, Lu S, Chen GY, et al. Erlotinib as second-line treatment in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer and asymptomatic brain metastases: a phase II study (CTONG-0803). Ann Oncol 2013;24:993-9.
65. Wen PY. Controversies in neuro-oncology: role of whole-brain radiation therapy in the treatment of newly diagnosed brain metastases. Neuro Oncol 2015;17:915.
66. Magnuson WJ, Lester-Coll NH, Wu AJ, Yang TJ, Lockney NA, et al. Management of brain metastases in tyrosine kinase inhibitor-naive epidermal growth factor receptor-mutant non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective multi-institutional analysis. J Clin Oncol 2017;35:1070-7.
67. Costa DB, Shaw AT, Ou SH, Solomon BJ, Riely GJ, et al. Clinical experience with crizotinib in patients with advanced ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer and brain metastases. J Clin Oncol 2015;33:1881-8.
68. ASCO. Alectinib versus crizotinib in treatment-naive advanced ALK-positive non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): primary results of the global phase III ALEX study. Available from: http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.35.18_suppl.LBA9008. [Last accessed on 24 Jan 2019].
69. Olmez I, Donahue BR, Butler JS, Huang Y, Rubin P, et al. Clinical outcomes in extracranial tumor sites and unusual toxicities with concurrent whole brain radiation (WBRT) and erlotinib treatment in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with brain metastasis. Lung Cancer 2010;70:174-9.
70. Goldberg SB, Gettinger SN, Mahajan A, Chiang AC, Herbst RS, et al. Pembrolizumab for patients with melanoma or non-small-cell lung cancer and untreated brain metastases: early analysis of a non-randomised, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol 2016;17:976-83.
71. Kanai O, Fujita K, Okamura M, Nakatani K, Mio T. Severe exacerbation or manifestation of primary disease related to nivolumab in non-small-cell lung cancer patients with poor performance status or brain metastases. Ann Oncol 2016;27:1354-6.
72. Chen L, Douglass J, Kleinberg L, Ye X, Marciscano AE, et al. Concurrent immune checkpoint inhibitors and stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases in non-small cell lung Cancer, melanoma, and renal cell carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2018;100:916-25.