1. Sawabata N, Yokota S, Maeda H, Nakagawa M, Yamaguchi T, Okada T, Itho M. Diagnosis of solitary pulmonary nodule: optimal strategy based on nodal size. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2006;5:105-8.
2. Sawabata N, Ohta M, Maeda H. Fine-needle aspiration cytologic technique for lung cancer has a high potential of malignant cell spread through the tract. Chest 2000;118:936-9.
3. Inoue M, Honda O, Tomiyama N, Minami M, Sawabata N, Kadota Y, Shintani Y, Ohno Y, Okumura M. Risk of pleural recurrence after computed tomographic-guided percutaneous needle biopsy in stage I lung cancer patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;91:1066-71.
4. Kashiwabara K, Semba H, Fujii S, Tsumura S. Preoperative percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy increased the risk of pleural recurrence in pathological stage I lung cancer patients with sub-pleural pure solid nodules. Cancer Invest 2016;34:373-7.
5. Robertson EG, Baxter G. Tumour seeding following percutaneous needle biopsy: the real story! Clinical radiol 2011;66:1007-14.
6. Sawabata N, Matsumura A, Ohota H, Maeda H, Hirano H, Nakagawa K, Matsuda H; Thoracic Surgery Study Group of Osaka University. Cytologically malignant margins of wedge resected stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2002;74:1953-7.
7. Sawabata N, Karube Y, Umezu H, Tamura M, Seki N, Ishihama H, Honma K, Miyoshi S. Cytologically malignant margin without continuous pulmonary tumor lesion: cases of wedge resection, segmentectomy and lobectomy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2008;7:1044-8.
8. Sawabata N, Maeda H, Matsumura A, Ohta M, Okumura M; Thoracic Surgery Study Group of Osaka University. Clinical implications of the margin cytology findings and margin/tumor size ratio in patients who underwent pulmonary excision for peripheral non-small cell lung cancer. Surg Today 2012;42:238-44.
9. Takahashi N, Sawabata N, Kawamura M, Ohtsuka T, Horio H, Sakaguchi H, Nakayama M, Yoshiya K, Chida M, Hoshi E. Multicenter prospective study of sublobar resection for c-stage I non-small cell lung cancer patients unable to undergo lobectomy (KLSG-0801): complete republication. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016;64:470-5.
10. Sawabata N, Maeda H, Ohta M, Hayakawa M. Operable non-small cell lung cancer diagnosed by transpleural techniques: do they affect relapse and prognosis? Chest 2001;120:1595-8.
11. Nakajima J, Sato H, Takamoto S. Does preoperative transbronchial biopsy worsen the postsurgical prognosis of lung cancer? A propensity score-adjusted analysis. Chest 2005;128:3512-8.
12. Sawabata N, Okumura M, Utsumi T, Inoue M, Shiono H, Minami M, Nishida T, Sawa Y. Circulating tumor cells in peripheral blood caused by surgical manipulation of non-small-cell lung cancer: pilot study using an immunocytology method. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007;55:189-92.
13. Sawabata N, Funaki S, Hyakutake T, Shintani Y, Fujiwara A, Okumura M. Perioperative circulating tumor cells in surgical patients with non-small cell lung cancer: does surgical manipulation dislodge cancer cells thus allowing them to pass into the peripheral blood? Surg Today 2016;46:1402-9.
14. Hashimoto M, Tanaka F, Yoneda K, Takuwa T, Matsumoto S, Okumura Y, Kondo N, Tsubota N, Tsujimura T, Tabata C, Nakano T, Hasegawa S. Significant increase in circulating tumour cells in pulmonary venous blood during surgical manipulation in patients with primary lung cancer. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2014;18:775-83.
15. Yao X, Williamson C, Adalsteinsson VA, D'Agostino RS, Fitton T, Smaroff GG, William RT, Wittrup KD, Love JC. Tumor cells are dislodged into the pulmonary vein during lobectomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014;148:3224-31.
16. Desitter I, Guerrouahen BS, Benali-Furet N, Wechsler J, Jänne PA, Kuang Y, Yanagita M, Wang L, Berkowitz JA, Distel RJ, Cayre YE. A new device for rapid isolation by size and characterization of rare circulating tumor cells. Anticancer Res 2011;31:427-41.
17. Hansen E, Wolff N, Knuechel R, Ruschoff J, Hofstaedter F, Taeger K. Tumor cells in blood shed from the surgical field. Arch Surg 1995;130:387-93.
18. Yamashita J, Matsuo A, Kurusu Y, Saishoji T, Hayashi N, Ogawa M. Preoperative evidence of circulating tumor cells by means of reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction for carcinoembryonic antigen messenger RNA is an independent predictor of survival in non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002;124:299-305.
19. Brown DC, Purushotham AD, Birnie GD, George WD. Detection of intraoperative tumor cell dissemination in patients with breast cancer by use of reverse transcription and polymerase chain reaction. Surgery 1995;117:95-101.
20. Allard WJ, Matera J, Miller MC, Repollet M, Connelly MC, Rao C, Tibbe AG, Uhr JW, Terstappen LW. Tumor cells circulate in the peripheral blood of all major carcinomas but not in healthy subjects or patients with nonmalignant diseases. Clin Cancer Res 2004;10:6897-904.
21. Crosbie PA, Shah R, Krysiak P, Zhou C, Morris K, Tugwood J, Booton R, Blackhall F, Dive C. Circulating tumor cells detected in the tumor-draining pulmonary vein are associated with disease recurrence after surgical resection of NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol 2016;11:1793-7.
22. Funaki S, Sawabata N, Nakagiri T, Shintani Y, Inoue M, Kadota Y, Minami M, Okumura M. Novel approach for detection of isolated tumor cells in pulmonary vein using negative selection method: morphological classification and clinical implications. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011;40:322-7.
23. Funaki S, Sawabata N, Abulaiti A, Shintani Y, Inoue M, Kadota Y, Minami M, Okumura M. Significance of tumour vessel invasion in determining the morphology of isolated tumour cells in the pulmonary vein in non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013;43:1126-30.
24. Okumura Y, Tanaka F, Yoneda K, Hashimoto M, Takuwa T, Kondo N, Hasegawa S. Circulating tumor cell in pulmonary venous blood of primary lung cancer patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2009;87:1669-75.
25. Ma YC, Wang L, Yu FL. Recent advances and prospects in the isolation by size of epithelial tumor cells (ISET) methodology. Technol Cancer Res Treat 2013;12:295-309.
26. Aceto N, Bardia A, Miyamoto DT, Donaldson MC, Wittner BS, Spencer JA, Yu M, Pely A, Engstrom A, Zhu H, Brannigan BW, Kapur R, Stott SL, Shioda T, Ramaswamy S, Ting DT, Lin CP, Toner M, Haber DA, Maheswaran S. Circulating tumor cell clusters are oligoclonal precursors of breast cancer metastasis. Cell 2014;158:1110-22.
27. Altorki NK, Kamel MK, Narula N, Ghaly G, Nasar A, Rahouma M, Lee PC, Port JL, Stiles BM. Anatomical segmentectomy and wedge resections are associated with comparable outcomes for patients with small cT1N0 non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2016;11:1984-92.