On December 16, 2022, the Editorial Office of the Journal of Environmental Exposure Assessment (JEEA) was honored to conduct a special interview with Prof. José L. Domingo (Rovira i Virgili University, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Reus, Spain). Dr. Rui Hou (South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China) was invited as the Guest Moderator.
Prof. Domingo mainly focused on human health risk assessment of a number of environmental pollutants and the risk of food contaminants. In June 2014 and December 2015, he received recognition by Thomson Reuters as a Highly Cited Researcher in the field of Agricultural Sciences. He was also recognized as an Expertscape World Expert in Food Safety. Prof. Domingo is the Editor-in-Chief of the scientific journal Environmental Research and has been the EIC of Food and Chemical Toxicology and Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. During this interview, he shared the defining moment of entering the field, his plan after retirement, and his experiences of running a journal.
Here are the details of the interview:
1. What was the defining moment that led you to your field?
2. As an outstanding expert, what are your greatest pleasures and scientific achievements?
3. As the Founder and Director of Tecnatox (www.tecnatox.cat), can you talk about your original intention in establishing it? What area(s) of research at Tecnatox interest you the most right now?
4. You mentioned that you officially retired in Sep this year. Could you please share with us your plan for retirement?
5. We know that you are the editor-in-chief of the scientific journal Environmental Research and have been the EIC of Food and Chemical Toxicology and Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. These journals are well-developed. JEEA is a new journal. We plan to develop it into a journal indexed by Web of Science. Do you have any suggestions or experiences to share?
Jose L. Domingo was born in Tortosa, Catalonia, in 1951. He studied Chemistry at the Universitat de Barcelona, graduating in 1972 and receiving his doctorate in 1982. He became Full Professor of Toxicology at the University of Barcelona in 1991 and at the Universitat “Rovira i Virgili” (Tarragona/Reus) in 1993. He was Associate Visiting Professor at the School of Hygiene and Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA; 1987) and spent short sabbatical periods at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN, USA), the University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ, USA), and the University of California at Davis (USA). In 2006, he was appointed Distinguished Professor by the Universitat “Rovira i Virgili”. His research is currently mainly focused on human health risk assessment of a number of environmental pollutants, including emerging contaminants. The risk of food contaminants is another issue of his interest. Prof. Domingo is the editor-in-chief of the scientific journal Environmental Research and has been the EIC of Food and Chemical Toxicology and Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. He is the founder and director of the Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health and Tecnatox (www.tecnatox.cat). He is the author or co-author of 738 papers (Scopus) published in international peer-reviewed journals. According to Google Scholar, these papers mean over 38,700 citations and a current h-index of 97. He has managed an important number of projects for public administrations and private companies. He has supervised more than 40 Ph.D. theses. Prof. Domingo is a Highly Cited Researcher and was recognized as an Expertscape World Expert in Food Safety. Prof. Domingo is a member of various international scientific societies such as the Society of Toxicology USA, EUROTOX, etc.
Respectfully Submitted by the Editorial Office
Journal of Environmental Exposure Assessment