1. Frasson M, Braga M, Vignali A, Zuliani W, Di Carlo V. Benefits of laparoscopic colorectal resection are more pronounced in elderly patients. Dis Colon Rectum 2008;51:296-300.
2. Endo S, Dousei T, Yoshikawa Y, Hatanaka N, Kamiike W, et al. Prognosis of gastric carcinoma patients aged 85 years or older who underwent surgery or who received best supportive care only. Int J Clin Oncol 2013;18:1014-9.
3. Kim EJ, Seo KW, Yoon KY. Laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer in the elderly. J Gastric Cancer 2012;12:232-6.
4. Polanczyk CA, Marcantonio E, Goldman L, Rohde LE, Orav J, et al. Impact of age on perioperative complications and length of stay in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. Ann Intern Med 2001;134:637-43.
5. Monson K, Litvak DA, Bold RJ. Surgery in the aged population: surgical oncology. Arch Surg 2003;138:1061-7.
6. Story DA. Postoperative complications in elderly patients and their significance for long-term prognosis. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2008;21:375-9.
7. Kim MC, Jung GJ, Kim HH. Morbidity and mortality of laparoscopy-assisted gastrectomy with extraperigastric lymph node dissection for gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2007;52:543-8.
8. Kitano S, Shiraishi N, Fujii K, Yasuda K, Inomata M, et al. A randomized controlled trial comparing open vs laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy for the treatment of early gastric cancer: an interim report. Surgery 2002;131:S306-11.
9. Mochiki E, Nakabayashi T, Kamimura H, Haga N, Asao T, et al. Gastrointestinal recovery and outcome after laparoscopy-assisted versus conventional open distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer. World J Surg 2002;26:1145-9.
10. Kim MG, Kim HS, Kim BS, Kwon SJ. The impact of old age on surgical outcomes of totally laparoscopic gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Surg Endosc 2013;27:3990-7.
11. Park HA, Park SH, Cho SI, Jang YJ, Kim JH, et al. Impact of age and comorbidity on the short-term surgical outcome after laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy for adenocarcinoma. Am Surg 2013;79:40-8.
12. Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma: 3rd English edition. Gastric Cancer 2011;14:101-12.
13. Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chron Dis 1987;40:373-83.
14. Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA. Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg 2004;240:205-13.
15. Kanda Y. Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software ‘EZR’ for medical statistics. Bone Marrow Transplant 2013;48:452-8.
16. Kawamura H, Yokota R, Homma S, Kondo Y. Comparison of respiratory function recovery in the early phase after laparoscopy-assisted gastrectomy and open gastrectomy. Surg Endosc 2010;24:2739-42.
17. Inokuchi M, Kojima K, Kato K, Motoyama K, Sugita H, et al. Feasibility of laparoscopy-assisted gastrectomy for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Surg Endosc 2013;27:2102-9.
18. Fletcher CM. The clinical diagnosis of pulmonary emphysema; an experimental study. Proc R Soc Med 1952;45:577-84.
19. Evers BM, Townsend CM Jr, Thompson JC. Organ physiology of aging. Surg Clin North Am 1994;74:23-39.
20. Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines (ver.3). Tokyo: Kanehara; 2010.
21. Mayol J, Martinez-Sarmiento J, Tamayo FJ, Fernández-Represa JA. Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the ageing patient. Age Ageing 1997;26:77-81.
22. Turrentine FE, Wang H, Simpson VB, Jones RS. Surgical risk factors, morbidity, and mortality in elderly patients. J Am Coll Surg 2006;203:865-77.
23. Odeberg S, Ljungqvist O, Svenberg T, Gannedahl P, Bäckdahl M, et al. Haemodynamic effects of pneumoperitoneum and the influence of posture during anaesthesia for laparoscopic surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1994;38:276-83.
24. Rauh R, Hemmerling TM, Rist M, Jacobi KE. Influence of pneumoperitoneum and patient positioning on respiratory system compliance. J Clin Anesth 2001;13:361-5.
25. Gutt CN, Oniu T, Mehrabi A, Schemmer P, Kashfi A, et al. Circulatory and respiratory complications of carbon dioxide insufflation. Dig Surg 2004;21:95-105.
26. Lu J, Huang CM, Zheng CH, Li P, Xie JW, et al. Short- and long-term outcomes after laparoscopic versus open total gastrectomy for elderly gastric cancer patients: a propensity score-matched analysis. J Gastrointest Surg 2015;19:1949-57.
27. Usui S, Yoshida T, Ito K, Hiranuma S, Kudo SE, et al. Laparoscopy-assisted total gastrectomy for early gastric cancer: comparison with conventional open total gastrectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2005;15:309-14.
28. Schweickert WD, Pohlman MC, Pohlman AS, Nigos C, Pawlik AJ, et al. Early physical and occupational therapy in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009;373:1874-82.
29. Avidan MS, Fritz BA, Maybrier HR, Muench MR, Escallier KE, et al. The prevention of delirium and complications associated with surgical treatments (PODCAST) study: protocol for an international multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open 2014;4:e005651.
30. Hu Y, Ying M, Huang C, Wei H, Jiang Z, et al. Oncologic outcomes of laparoscopy-assisted gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer: a large-scale multicenter retrospective cohort study from China. Surg Endosc 2014;28:2048-56.
31. Wu CW, Lo SS, Shen KH, Hsieh MC, Lui WY, et al. Surgical mortality, survival, and quality of life after resection for gastric cancer in the elderly. World J Surg 2000;24:465-72.
32. Kitamura K, Sugimachi K, Saku M. Evaluation of surgical treatment for patients with gastric cancer who are over 80 years of age. Hepatogastroenterology 1999;46:2074-80.
33. Zheng L, Lu L, Jiang X, Jian W, Liu Z, et al. Laparoscopy-assisted versus open distal gastrectomy for gastric cancer in elderly patients: a retrospective comparative study. Surg Endosc 2016;30:4069-77.
34. Park SH, Mok YJ, Kim JH, Park SS, Kim SJ, et al. Clinical significance of gastric outlet obstruction on the oncologic and surgical outcomes of radical surgery for carcinoma of the distal stomach. J Surg Oncol 2009;100:215-21.