1. Heald RJ, Husband EM, Ryall RD. The mesorectum in rectal cancer surgery--the clue to pelvic recurrence? Br J Surg 1982;69:613-6.
2. MacFarlane JK, Ryall RD, Heald RJ. Mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Lancet 1993;341:457-60.
3. Sauer R, Liersch T, Merkel S, Fietkau R, Hohenberger W, et al. Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-94 randomized phase III trial after a median follow-up of 11 years. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:1926-33.
4. Sauer R, Becker H, Hohenberger W, Rödel C, Wittekind C, et al. Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer. N Engl J Med 2004;351:1731-40.
5. McCarthy K, Pearson K, Fulton R, Hewitt J. Pre-operative chemoradiation for non-metastatic locally advanced rectal cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;12:CD008368.
6. Bosset JF, Calais G, Mineur L, Maingon P, Radosevic-Jelic L, et al. Enhanced tumorocidal effect of chemotherapy with preoperative radiotherapy for rectal cancer: preliminary results--EORTC 22921. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:5620-7.
7. Gérard JP, Conroy T, Bonnetain F, Bouché O, Chapet O, et al. Preoperative radiotherapy with or without concurrent fluorouracil and leucovorin in T3-4 rectal cancers: results of FFCD 9203. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:4620-5.
8. van der Pas MH, Haglind E, Cuesta MA, Fürst A, Lacy AM, et al. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer (COLOR II): short-term outcomes of a randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2013;14:210-8.
9. Guillou PJ, Quirke P, Thorpe H, Walker J, Jayne DG, et al. Short-term endpoints of conventional versus laparoscopic-assisted surgery in patients with colorectal cancer (MRC CLASICC trial): multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005;365:1718-26.
10. Weber PA, Merola S, Wasielewski A, Ballantyne GH. Telerobotic-assisted laparoscopic right and sigmoid colectomies for benign disease. Dis Colon Rectum 2002;45:1689-94.
11. Baek JH, Pastor C, Pigazzi A. Robotic and laparoscopic total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: a case-matched study. Surg Endosc 2011;25:521-5.
12. Park JS, Choi GS, Lim KH, Jang YS, Jun SH. S052: a comparison of robot-assisted, laparoscopic, and open surgery in the treatment of rectal cancer. Surg Endosc 2011;25:240-8.
13. Kim JY, Kim NK, Lee KY, Hur H, Min BS, et al. A comparative study of voiding and sexual function after total mesorectal excision with autonomic nerve preservation for rectal cancer: laparoscopic versus robotic surgery. Ann Surg Oncol 2012;19:2485-93.
14. Hellan M, Ouellette J, Lagares-Garcia JA, Rauh SM, Kennedy HL, et al. Robotic rectal cancer resection: a retrospective multicenter analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 2015;22:2151-8.
15. Huang CW, Tsai HL, Yeh YS, Su WC, Huang MY, et al. Robotic-assisted total mesorectal excision with the single-docking technique for patients with rectal cancer. BMC Surgery 2017;17:126.
16. Huang CW, Yeh YS, Su WC, Tsai HL, Choy TK, et al. Robotic surgery with high dissection and low ligation technique for consecutive patients with rectal cancer following preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Int J Colorectal Dis 2016;31:1169-77.
17. Chou JF, Row D, Gonen M, Liu YH, Schrag D, et al. Clinical and pathologic factors that predict lymph node yield from surgical specimens in colorectal cancer: a population-based study. Cancer 2010;116:2560-70.
18. Persiani R, Biondi A, Gambacorta MA, Bertucci Zoccali M, Vecchio FM, et al. Prognostic implications of the lymph node count after neoadjuvant treatment for rectal cancer. Br J Surg 2014;101:133-42.
19. Scarpinata R, Aly EH. Does robotic rectal cancer surgery offer improved early postoperative outcomes? Dis Colon Rectum 2013;56:253-62.
20. Madbouly KM, Hussein AM. Changing operative strategy from abdominoperineal resection to sphincter preservation in T3 low rectal cancer after downstaging by neoadjuvant chemoradiation: a preliminary report. World J Surg 2015;39:1248-56.
21. Maas M, Nelemans PJ, Valentini V, Das P, Rödel C, et al. Long-term outcome in patients with a pathological complete response after chemoradiation for rectal cancer: a pooled analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Oncol 2010;11:835-44.
22. Huang CM, Huang MY, Tsai HL, Huang CW, Ma CJ, et al. An observational study of extending FOLFOX chemotherapy, lengthening the interval between radiotherapy and surgery, and enhancing pathological complete response rates in rectal cancer patients following preoperative chemoradiotherapy. Ther Adv Gastroenterol 2016;9:702-12.
23. Kim YS, Kim MJ, Park SC, Sohn DK, Kim DY, et al. Robotic versus laparoscopic surgery for rectal cancer after preoperative chemoradiotherapy: case-matched study of short-term outcomes. Cancer Res Treat 2016;48:225-31.
24. Saklani AP, Lim DR, Hur H, Min BS, Baik SH, et al. Robotic versus laparoscopic surgery for mid-low rectal cancer after neoadjuvant chemoradiation therapy: comparison of oncologic outcomes. Int J Colorectal Dis 2013;28:1689-98.
25. Adam IJ, Mohamdee MO, Martin IG, Scott N, Finan PJ, et al. Role of circumferential margin involvement in the local recurrence of rectal cancer. Lancet 1994;344:707-11.
26. Quirke P, Steele R, Monson J, Grieve R, Khanna S, et al. Effect of the plane of surgery achieved on local recurrence in patients with operable rectal cancer: a prospective study using data from the MRC CR07 and NCIC-CTG CO16 randomised clinical trial. Lancet 2009;373:821-8.
27. Quirke P. Training and quality assurance for rectal cancer: 20 years of data is enough. Lancet Oncol 2003;4:695-702.
28. Kwak JM, Kim SH. Robotic surgery for rectal cancer: an update in 2015. Cancer Res Treat 2016;48:427-35.
29. Pai A, Marecik SJ, Park JJ, Melich G, Sulo S, et al. Oncologic and clinicopathologic outcomes of robot-assisted total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2015;58:659-67.
30. Kim CN, Bae SU, Lee SG, Yang SH, Hyun IG, et al. Clinical and oncologic outcomes of totally robotic total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: initial results in a center for minimally invasive surgery. Int J Colorectal Dis 2016;31:843-52.
31. Feroci F, Vannucchi A, Bianchi PP, Cantafio S, Garzi A, et al. Total mesorectal excision for mid and low rectal cancer: laparoscopic vs robotic surgery. World J Gastroenterol 2016;22:3602-10.
32. Cho MS, Baek SJ, Hur H, Min BS, Baik SH, et al. Short and long-term outcomes of robotic versus laparoscopic total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: a case-matched retrospective study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015;94:e522.
33. Park EJ, Cho MS, Baek SJ, Hur H, Min BS, et al. Long-term oncologic outcomes of robotic low anterior resection for rectal cancer: a comparative study with laparoscopic surgery. Ann Surg 2015;261:129-37.
34. Ghezzi TL, Luca F, Valvo M, Corleta OC, Zuccaro M, et al. Robotic versus open total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: comparative study of short and long-term outcomes. Eur J Surg Onco 2014;40:1072-9.
35. Hara M, Sng K, Yoo BE, Shin JW, Lee DW, et al. Robotic-assisted surgery for rectal adenocarcinoma: short-term and midterm outcomes from 200 consecutive cases at a single institution. Dis Colon Rectum 2014;57:570-7.
36. Baik SH, Kim NK, Lim DR, Hur H, Min BS, et al. Oncologic outcomes and perioperative clinicopathologic results after robot-assisted tumor-specific mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2013;20:2625-32.
37. Ahmed J, Nasir M, Flashman K, Khan J, Parvaiz A. Totally robotic rectal resection: an experience of the first 100 consecutive cases. Int J Colorectal Dis 2016;31:869-76.
38. Hellan M, Anderson C, Ellenhorn JD, Paz B, Pigazzi A. Short-term outcomes after robotic-assisted total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:3168-73.
39. Luca F, Cenciarelli S, Valvo M, Pozzi S, Faso FL, et al. Full robotic left colon and rectal cancer resection: technique and early outcome. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16:1274-8.
40. Yamaguchi T, Kinugasa Y, Shiomi A, Tomioka H, Kagawa H, et al. Robotic-assisted vs. conventional laparoscopic surgery for rectal cancer: short-term outcomes at a single center. Surg Today 2016;46:957-62.
41. Ramji KM, Cleghorn MC, Josse JM, MacNeill A, O'Brien C, et al. Comparison of clinical and economic outcomes between robotic, laparoscopic, and open rectal cancer surgery: early experience at a tertiary care center. Surg Endosc 2016;30:1337-43.