1. Kehlet H, Wilmore DW. Multimodal strategies to improve surgical outcome. Am J Surg 2002;183:630-41.
2. Kehlet H, Wilmore DW. Evidence-based surgical care and the evolution of fast-track surgery. Ann Surg 2008;248:189-98.
3. Khreiss W, Huebner M, Cima RR, Dozois ER, Chua HK, Pemberton JH, Harmsen WS, Larson DW. Improving conventional recovery with enhanced recovery in minimally invasive surgery for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2014;57:557-63.
4. Thiele RH, Rea KM, Turrentine FE, Friel CM, Hassinger TE, McMurry TL, Goudreau BJ, Umapathi BA, Kron IL, Sawyer RG, Hedrick TL. Standardization of care: impact of an enhanced recovery protocol on length of stay, complications, and direct costs after colorectal surgery. J Am Coll Surg 2015;220:430-43.
5. Tebala GD, Keane S, Osman A, Ip M, Khan AQ, Perrone L. Early discharge after colorectal resection: the positive impact of an enhanced recovery program on a rural colorectal surgery service. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2016;26:e137-44.
6. Gustafsson UO, Scott MJ, Schwenk W, Demartines N, Roulin D, Francis N, McNaught CE, MacFie J, Liberman AS, Soop M, Hill A, Kennedy RH, Lobo DN, Fearon K, Ljungqvist O; Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society. Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colonic surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS®) society recommendations. Clin Nutr 2012;31:783-800.
7. Greco M, Capretti G, Beretta L, Gemma M, Pecorelli N, Braga M. Enhanced recovery programme in colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. World J Surg 2014;38:1531-41.
8. Muller S, Zalunardo MP, Hubner M, Clavien PA, Demartines N; Zurich Fast Track Study Group. A fast track program reduces complications and length of hospital stay after open colonic surgery. Gastroenterology 2009;136:842-7.
9. Serclová Z, Dytrych P, Marvan J, Nová K, Hankeová Z, Ryska O, Slégrová Z, Buresová L, Trávníková L, Antos F. Fast-Track in open intestinal surgery: prospective randomized study(clinical trials gov identifier no. NCT00123456). Clin Nutr 2009;28:618-24.
10. Teeuwen PH, Bleichrodt RP, Strik C, Groenewoud JJ, Brinkert W, van Laarhoven CJ, van Goor H, Bremers AJ. Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) versus conventional postoperative care in colorectal surgery. J Gastrointest Surg 2010;14:88-95.
11. Gustafsson UO, Hausel J, Thorell A, Ljungqvist O, Soop M, Nygren J; Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Study Group. Adherence to the enhanced recovery after surgery protocol and outcomes after colorectal cancer surgery. Arch Surg 2011;146:571-7.
12. Grocott MP, Martin DS, Mythen MG. Enhanced recovery pathways as a way to reduce surgical morbidity. Curr Opin Crit Care 2012;18:385-92.
13. Forsmo HM, Pfeffer F, Rasdal A, Østgaard G, Mohn AC, Körner H, Erichsen C. Compliance with enhanced recovery after surgery criteria and preoperative and postoperative counselling reduces length of hospital stay in colorectal surgery: results of a randomized controlled trial. Colorectal Dis 2016;18:603-11.
14. Simpson JC, Moonesinghe SR, Grocott MP, Kuper M, McMeeking A, Oliver CM, Galsworthy MJ, Mythen MG; National Enhanced Recovery Partnership Advisory Board. Enhanced recovery from surgery in the UK: an audit of the enhanced recovey partnership programme 2009-2012. Br J Anaesth 2015;115:560-8.
15. Khan MA, Pandev S. Clinical outcomes of the very elderly undergoing enhanced recovery programmes in elective colorectal surgery. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2016;98:29-33.
16. Kiran RP, Delaney CP, Senagore AJ, Steel M, Garafalo T, Fazio VW. Outcomes and prediction of hospital readmission after intestinal surgery. J Am Coll Surg 2004;198:877-83.
17. Portinari M, Ascanelli S, Targa S, Dos Santos Valgode EM, Bonvento B, Vagnoni E, Camerani S, Verri M, Volta CA, Feo CV. Impact of a colorectal enhanced recovery program implementation on clinical outcomes and institutional costs: a prospective cohort study with retrospective control. Int J Surg 2018;53:206-13.
18. Nygren J, Thacker J, Carli F, Fearon KC, Norderval S, Lobo DN, Ljungqvist O, Soop M, Ramirez J; Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society. Guidelines for perioperative care in elective rectal/pelvic surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS®) society recommendations. Clin Nutr 2012;31:801-16.
19. Tebala GD, Natili A, Gallucci A, Brachini G, Khan AQ, Tebala D, Mingoli A. Emergency treatment of complicated colorectal cancer. Cancer Manag Res 2018;10:827-38.
20. Shida D, Tagawa K, Inada K, Nasu K, Seyama Y, Maeshiro T, Miyamoto S, Inoue S, Umekita N. Modified enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) protocols for patients with obstructive colorectal cancer. BMC Surg 2017;17:18.
21. Forsmo HM, Erichsen C, Rasdal A, Tvinnereim JM, Körner H, Pfeffer F. Randomized controlled trial of extended perioperative counseling in enhanced recovery after colorectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum 2018;61:724-32.
22. Chaudhri S, Brown L, Hassan I, Horgan AF. Preoperative intensive, community-based vs. traditional stoma education: a randomized, controlled trial. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48:504-9.
23. Carmichael JC, Keller DS, Baldini G, Bordeianou L, Weiss E, Lee L, Boutros M, McClane J, Feldman LS, Steele SR. Clinical practice guidelines for enhanced recovery after colon and rectal surgery from the american society of colon and rectal surgeons and Ssociety of american gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgeons. Dis Colon Rectum 2017;60:761-84.
24. Singh F, Newton RU, Baker MK, Spry NA, Taaffe DR, Galvão DA. Feasibility and efficacy of presurgical exercise in survivors of rectal cancer scheduled to receive curative resection. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2017;16:358-65.
25. Minnella EM, Bousquet-Dion G, Awasthi R, Scheede-Bergdahl C, Carli F. Multimodal prehabilitation improves functional capacity before and after colorectal surgery for cancer: a five-year research experience. Acta Oncol 2017;56:295-300.
26. Carli F, Charlebois P, Stein B, Feldman L, Zavorsky G, Kim DJ, Scott S, Mayo NE. Randomized clinical trial of prehabilitation in colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 2010;97:1187-97.
27. Dunne DF, Jack S, Jones RP, Jones L, Lythgoe DT, Malik HZ, Poston GJ, Palmer DH, Fenwick SW. Randomized clinical trial of prehabilitation before planned liver resection. Br J Surg 2016;103:504-12.
28. Berkel AEM, Bongers BC, van Kamp MS, Kotte H, Weltevreden P, de Jongh FHC, Eijsvogel MMM, Wymenga ANM, Bigirwamungu-Bargeman M, van der Palen J, van Det MJ, van Meeteren NLU, Klaase JM. The effect of prehabilitation versus usual care to reduce postoperative complications in high-risk patients with colorectal cancer or dysplasia scheduled for elective colorectal resection: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Gastroenterol 2018;18:29.
29. Gillis C, Buhler K, Bresee L, Carli F, Gramlich L, Culos-Reed N, Sajobi TT, Fenton TR. Effects of nutritional prehabilitation, with and without exercise, on outcomes of patients who undergo colorectal surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastroenterology 2018;155:391-410.
30. Bousquet-Dion G, Awasthi R, Loiselle SE, Minnella EM, Agnihotram RV, Bergdahl A, Carli F, Scheede-Bergdahl C. Evaluation of supervised multimodal prehabilitation programme in cancer patients undergoing colorectal resection: a randomized control trial. Acta Oncol 2018;57:849-59.
31. Leong KJ, Chapman MAS. Current data about the benefit of prehabilitation for colorectal cancer patients undergoing surgery are not sufficient to alter the NHS cancer waiting targets. Colorect Dis 2017;19:522-4.
32. Curtis NJ, West MA, Salib E, Ockrim J, Allison AS, Dalton R, Francis NK. Time from colorectal cancer diagnosis to laparoscopic curative surgery - is there a safe window for prehabilitation? Int J Colorectal Dis 2018;33:979-83.
33. Merki-Künzli C, Kerstan-Huber M, Switalla D, Gisi D, Raptis DA, Greco N, Mungo G, Wirz M, Gloor S, Misirlic M, Breitenstein S, Tschuor C. Assessing the value of prehabilitation in patients undergoing colorectal surgery according to the enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway for the improvement of postoperative outcomes: protocol for a randomised controlled trial. JMIR Res Protoc 2017;6:e199.
34. Wong SG, Maida E, Harvey D, Wagner N, Sonnadara R, Amin N. Evaluation of a physiatrist-directed prehabilitation intervention in frail patients with colorectal cancer: a randomized pilot study protocol. BMJ Open 2017;7:e015565.
35. Onerup A, Angenete E, Bock D, Börjesson M, Fagevik Olsén M, Grybäck Gillheimer E, Skullman S, Thörn SE, Haglind E, Nilsson H. The effect of pre- and post-operative physical activity on recovery after colorectal cancer surgery (PHYSSURG-C): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2017;18:212.
36. Minnella EM, Carli F. Prehabilitation and functional recovery for colorectal cancer patients. Eur J Surg Oncol 2018;44:919-26.
37. Yeung SE, Hilkewich L, Gillis C, Heine JA, Fenton TR. Protein intakes are associated with reduced length of stay: a comparison between enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) and conventional care after elective colorectal surgery. Am J Clin Nutr 2017;106:44-51.
39. Black PR, Brooks DC, Bessey PQ, Wolfe RR, Wilmore DW. Mechanisms of insulin resistance following injury. Ann Surg 1982;196:420-35.
40. Crowe PJ, Dennison A, Royle GT. The effect of pre-operative glucose loading on postoperative nitrogen metabolism. Br J Surg 1984;71:635-7.
41. Svanfeldt M, Thorell A, Hausel J, Soop M, Rooyackers O, Nygren J, Ljungqvist O. Randomized clinical trial of the effect of preoperative oral carbohydrate treatment on postoperative whole-body protein and glucose kinetics. Br J Surg 2007;94:1342-50.
42. . Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures:an updated report by the american society of anesthesiologists task force on preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration. Anesthesiology 2017;126:376-93.
43. Moya P, Soriano-Irigaray L, Ramirez JM, Garcea A, Blasco O, Bianco FJ, Brugiotti C, Miranda E, Arroyo A. Preoperative standard oral nutrition supplements versus immunonutrition in patients undergoing colorectal resection in an enhanced recovery (ERAS) protocol: a multicenter randomized clinical trial (SONVI study). Medicine (Baltimore) 2016;95:e3704.
44. Guenaga KF, Matos D, Castro AA, Atallah AN, Wille-Jørgensen P. Mechanical bowel preparation for elective colorectal surgery. Cochrane Databasae Syst Rev 2005; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001544.pub2.
45. Bretagnol F, Panis Y, Rullier E, Rouanet P, Berdah S, Dousset B, Portier G, Benoist S, Chipponi J, Vicaut E; French Research Group of Rectal Cancer Surgery (GRECCAR). Rectal cancer surgery with or without bowel preparation: the French GRECCAR III multicenter single-blinded randomized trial. Ann Surg 2010;252:863-8.
46. Güenaga KF, Matos D, Wille-Jørgensen P. Mechanical bowel preparation for elective colorectal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001544.pub4.
47. Yost MT, Jolissaint JS, Fields AC, Whang EE. Mechanical and oral antibiotic bowel preparation in the era of mini-invasive surgery and enhanced recovery. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2018;28:491-5.
48. Leenen JPL, Hentzen JEKR, Ockhuijsen HDL. Effectiveness of mechanical bowel preparation versus no preparation on anastomotic leakage in colorectal surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Updates Surg 2018; doi: 10.1007/s13304-018-0526-4.
49. Kiran RP, Murray AC, Chiuzan C, Estrada D, Forde K. Combined preoperative mechanical bowel preparation with oral antibiotics significantly reduces surgical site infection, anastomotic leak, and ileus after colorectal surgery. Ann Surg 2015;262:416-25.
51. Lobo DN, Bostock KA, Neal KR, Perkins PAC, Rowlands PBJ, Allison PSP. Effect of salt and water balance on recovery of gastrointestinal functions after elective colonic resection: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2002;359:1812-18.
52. MacKay G, Fearon K, McConnachie A, Serpell MG, Molloy RG, O'Dwyer PJ. Randomized clinical trial of the effect of postoperarive intravenous fluid restriction on recovery after elective colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 2006;93:1469-74.
53. Gan TJ, Soppitt A, Maroof M, el-Moalem H, Robertson KM, Moretti E, Dwane P, Glass PS. Goal-directed intraoperative fluid administration reduces length of hospital stay after major surgery. Anesthesiology 2002;97:280-6.
54. Walsh SR, Tang T, Bass S, Gaunt ME. Doppler guided intra-operative fluid management during major abdominal surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Clin Pract 2008;62:466-70.
55. Myles PS, Bellomo R, Corcoran T, Forbes A, Peyton P, Story D, Christophi C, Leslie K, McGuinness S, Parke R, Serpell J, Chan MTV, Painter T, McCluskey S, Minto G, Wallace S; Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Clinical Trials Network and the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group. Restrictive versus liberal fluid therapy for major abdominal surgery. N Engl J Med 2018;378:2263-74.
56. Song F, Glenny AM. Antimicrobial prophylaxis in colorectal surgery: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Br J Surg 1998;85:1232-41.
57. Nelson RL, Glenny AM, Song F. Antimicrobial prophylaxis for colorectal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001181.pub3.
58. Choi JW, Kim DK, Kin JK, Lee EJ, Kim JY. A retrospective analysis on the relationship between intraoperative hypothermia and postoperative ileus after laparoscopic colorectal surgery. PLoS One 2018;13:e0190711.
59. van der Pas MH, Haglind E, Cuesta MA, Fürst A, Lacy AM, Hop WC, Bonjer HJ; COlorectal cancer Laparoscopic or Open Resection II (COLOR II) Study Group. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer (COLOR II): short term outcomes of a randomized, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2013;14:210-8.
60. Bonjer HJ, Deijen CL, Abis GA, Cuesta MA, van der Pas MH, de Lange-de Klerk ES, Lacy AM, Bemelman WA, Andersson J, Angenete E, Rosenberg J, Fuerst A, Haglind E; COLOR II Study Group. A randomized trial of laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer. N Engl J Med 2015;372:1324-32.
61. Jesus EC, Karliczek A, Matos D, Castro AA, Atallah AN. Prophylactic anastomotic drainage for colorectal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002100.pub2.
62. Bretagnol F, Slim K, Faucheron JL. Anterior resection with low colorectal anastomosis. To drain or not? Ann Chir 2005;130:336-9.
63. Peeters KC, Tollenaar RA, Marijnen CA, Klein Kranenbarg E, Steup WH, Wiggers T, Rutten HJ, van de Velde CJ; Dutch Colorectal Cancer Group. Risk factors for anastomotic failure after total mesorectal excision of rectal cancer. Br J Surg 2005;92:211-6.
64. Rondelli F, Bugiantella W, Vedovati MC, Balzarotti R, Avenia N, Mariani E, Agnelli G, Becattini C. To drain or not to drain extraperitoneal colorectal anastomosis? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Colorectal Dis 2014;16:35-42.
65. Denost Q, Rouanet P, Faucheron JL, Panis Y, Meunier B, Cotte E, Meurette G, Kirzin S, Sabbagh C, Loriau J, Benoist S, Mariette C, Sielezneff I, Lelong B, Mauvais F, Romain B, Barussaud ML, Germain C, Picat MQ, Rullier E, Laurent C; French Research Group of Rectal Cancer Surgery (GRECCAR). To drain or not to drain infraperitoneal anastomosis after rectal excision for cancer: the GRECCAR 5 randomized trial. Ann Surg 2017;265:474-80.
66. Nelson R, Edwards S, Tse B. Prophylactic nasogastric decompression after abdominal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004929.pub3.
67. Zmora O, Madbouly K, Tulchinsky H, Hussein A, Khaikin M. Urinary bladder catheter drainage following pelvic surgery -- is it necessary for that long? Dis Colon Rectum 2010;53:321-6.
68. Gelalis ID, Arnaoutoglou CM, Politis AN, Batzaleksis NA, Katonis PG, Xenakis TA. Bacterial wound contamination during simple and complex spinal procedures. A prospective clinical study. Spine J 2011;11:1042-8.
69. Krezalek MA, Hyoju S, Zaborin A, Okafor E, Chandrasekar L, Bindokas V, Guyton K, Montgomery CP, Daum RS, Zaborina O, Boyle-Vavra S, Alverdy JC. Can methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus silently travel from the gut to the wound and cause postoperative infection? Modeling the "Trojan Horse Hypothesis". Ann Surg 2018;267:749-58.
71. Clarke JS, Condon RE, Bartlett JG, Gorbach SL, Nichols RL, Ochi S. Preoperative oral antibiotics reduce septic complications of colon operations: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical study. Ann Surg 1977;186:251-9.
72. Tanner J, Padley W, Assadian O, Leaper D, Kiernan M, Edmiston C. Do surgical care bundles reduce the risk of surgical site infections in patients undergoing colorectal surgery? A systematic review and cohort meta-analysis of 8,515 patients. Surgery 2015;158:66-77.
73. McEvoy MD, Scott MJ, Gordon DB, Grant SA, Thacker JKM, Wu CL, Gan TJ, Mythen MG, Shaw AD, Miller TE. American society for enhanced recovery (ASER) and perioperative quality initiative (POQI) joint consensus statement on optimal analgesia within an enhanced recovery pathway for colorectal surgery: part1 - from the preoperative period to PACU. Perioper Med 2017;6:8.
74. Maher DP, White PF. Proposed mechanisms for association between opioid usage and cancer recurrence after surgery. J Clin Anest 2016;28:36-40.
75. Jørgensen H, Wetterslev J, Møiniche S, Dahl JB. Epidural local anaesthetics versus opioid-based analgesic regimens for postoperative gastrointestinal paralysis, PONV and pain after abdominal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001893.
77. Merchea A, Lovely JK, Jacob AK, Colibaseanu DT, Kelley SR, Mathis KL, Spears GM, Huebner M, Larson DW. Efficacy and outcomes of intrathecal analgesia as part of an enhanced recovery pathway in colon and rectal surgical patients. Surg Res Pract 2018; doi: 10.1155/2018/8174579.
78. Levy BF, Tilney HS, Downson HM, Rockall TA. A systematic review of postoperative analgesia following laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Colorect Dis 2010;12:5-15.
79. Jibril F, Sharaby S, Mohamed A, Wilby KJ. Intravenous versus oral acetaminophen for pain: systematic review of current evidence to support clinical decision-making. Can J Hosp Pharm 2015;68:238-47.
80. Bhangu A, Singh P, Fitzgerald JE, Slesser A, Tekkis P. Postoperative nonsgteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of anastomotic leak: meta-analysis of clinical and experimental studies. World J Surg 2014;38:2247-57.
81. Modasi A, Pace D, Godwin M, Smith C, Curtis B. NSAID administration post colorectal surgery increases anastomotic leak rate: systematic review/meta-analysis. Surg Endosc 2018; doi: 10.1007/s00464-018-6355-1.
82. McEvoy MD, Wanderer JP, King AB, Geiger TM, Tiwari V, Terekhov M, Ehrenfeld JM, Furman WR, Lee LA, Sandberg WS. A perioperative consult service results in reduction in cost and length of stay for colorectal surgical patients: evidence from a healthcare redesign project. Perioper Med (Lond) 2016;5:3.
83. Lloyd GM, Kirby R, Hemingway DM, Keane FB, Miller AS, Neary P. The RAPID protocol enhances patient recovery after both laparoscopic and open colorectal resections. Surg Endosc 2010;24:1434-9.
84. Wang L, Johnston B, Kaushal A, Cheng D, Zhu F, Martin J. Ketamine added to morphine or hydromorphone patient-controlled analgesia for acute postoperative pain in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Can J Anaesth 2016;63:311-25.
85. Guo BL, Lin Y, Hu W, Zhen CX, Bao-Cheng Z, Wu HH, Kaye AD, Duan JH, Qu Y. Effects of systemic magnesium on post-operative analgesia: is the current evidence strong enough? Pain Physician 2015;18:405-18.
86. Waldron NH, Jones CA, Gan TJ, Allen TK, Habib AS. Impact of perioperative dexamethasone on postoperative analgesia and side-effects: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Anaesth 2013;110:191-200.
87. Goll V, Akça O, Greif R, Freitag H, Arkiliç CF, Scheck T, Zoeggeler A, Kurz A, Krieger G, Lenhardt R, Sessler DI. Ondansetron is no more effective than supplemental intraoperative oxygen for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 2001;92:112-7.
88. Habib AS, White WD, Eubanks S, Pappas TN, Gan TJ. A randomized comparison of a multimodal management strategy versus combination antiemetics for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anest Analg 2004;99:77-81.
89. Funder JA, Tolstrup R, Jepsen BN, Iversen LH. Postoperative paralytic ileus remains a problem following surgery for advanced pelvic cancers. J Surg Res 2017;218:167-73.
90. Lee L, Liberman S, Charlebois P, Stein B, Kaneva P, Carli F, Feldman LS. The impact of complications after elective colorectal resection within an enhanced recovery pathway. Tech Colproctol 2018;22:191-9.
91. Sugawara K, Kawaguchi Y, Nomura Y, Suka Y, Kawasaki K, Uemura Y, Koike D, Nagai M, Furuya T, Tanaka N. Perioperative factors predicting prolonged postoperative ileus after major abdominal surgery. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:508-15.
92. Grass F, Slieker J, Jurt J, Kummer A, Solà J, Hahnloser D, Demartines N, Hübner M. Postoperative ileus in an enhanced recovery pathway - a retrospective cohort study. Int J Colorectal Dis 2017;32:675-81.
93. Pohl JM, Gutweiler S, Thiebes S, Volke JK, Klein-Hitpass L, Zwanziger D, Gunzer M, Jung S, Agace WW, Kurts C, Engel DR. Irf4-dependent CD103+CD11b+ dendritic cells and the intestinal microbiome regulate monocyte and macrophage activation and intestinal peristalsis in postoperative ileus. Gut 2017;66:2110-20.
94. Engel DR, Koscielny A, Wehner S, Maurer J, Schiwon M, Franken L, Schumak B, Limmer A, Sparwasser T, Hirner A, Knolle PA, Kalff JC, Kurts C. T helper type 1 memory cells disseminate postoperative ileus over the entire intestinal tract. Nat Med 2010;16:1407-13.
95. Grass F, Slieker J, Jurt J, Kummer A, Solà J, Hahnloser D, Demartines N, Hübner M. Postoperative ileus in an enhanced recovery pathway - a retrospective cohort study. Int J Colorectal Dis 2017;32:675-81.
96. Rohatiner T, Wend J, Rhodes S, Murrell Z, Berel D, Fleshner P. A prospective single-institution evaluation of current practices of early postoperative feeding after elective intestinal surgery. Am Surg 2012;78:1147-50.
97. Viscusi ER, Gan TJ, Leslie JB, Foss JF, Talon MD, Du W, Owens G. Peripherally acting mu-opioid recepton antagonists and postoperative ileus: mechanisms of action and clinical applicability. Anesth Analg 2009;108:1811-22.
98. Schwenk ES, Grant AE, Torjman MC, McNulty SE, Baratta JL, Viscusi ER. The efficacy of peripheral opioid antagonists in opioid-induced constipation and postoperative ileus: a systematic review of the Literature. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2017;42:767-77.
99. Creamer F, Balfour A, Nimmo S, Foo I, Norrie JD, Williams LJ, Fearon KC, Paterson HM. Randomized open-label phase II study comparing oxycodone-naloxone with oxycodone in early return of gastrointestinal function after laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 2017;104:42-51.
100. Purkayastha S, Tilney HS, Darzi AW, Tekkis PP. Meta-analysis of randomized studies evaluating chewing gum to enhance postoperative recovery following colectomy. Arch Surg 2008;143:788-93.
101. Short V, Herbert G, Perry R, Atkinson C, Ness AR, Penfold C, Thomas S, Andersen HK, Lewis SJ. Chewing gum for postoperative recovery of gastrointestinal function. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006506.pub3.
102. Liu Q, Jiang H, Xu D, Jin J. Effect of gum ghewing on ameliorating ileus following colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis of 18 randomised controlled trials. Int J Surg 2017;47:107-15.
103. Atkinson C, Penfold CM, Ness AR, Longman RJ, Thomas SJ, Hollingworth W, Kandiyali R, Leary SD, Lewis SJ. Randomised clinical trial of postoperative chewing gum versus standard care after colorectal resection. Br J Surg 2016;103:962-70.
104. Hansen CT, Sørensen M, Møller C, Ottesen B, Kehlet H. Effect of laxatives on gastrointestinal functional recovery in fast-track hysterectomy: a double blind, placebo-controlled randomized study. Am J Obstetr Gynecol 2007;196:e1-7.
105. Martos-Benítez FD, Gutiérrez-Noyola A, Soto-García A, González-Martínez I, Betancourt-Plaza I. Program of gastrointestinal rehabilitation and early postoperative enteral nutrition: a prospective study. Updates Surg 2018;70:105-12.
106. Probst P, Ohmann S, Klaiber U, Hüttner FJ, Billeter AT, Ulrich A, Büchler MW, Diener MK. Meta-analysis of immunonutrition in major abdominal surgery. Br J Surg 2017;104:1594-1608.
107. Xu J, Sun X, Xin Q, Cheng Y, Zhan Z, Zhang J, Wu J. Effect of immunonutrition on colorectal cancer patients undergoing surgery: a meta-analysis. Int J Colorect Dis 2018;33:273-83.
108. Short V, Atkinson C, Ness AR, Thomas S, Burden S, Sutton E. Patient experiences of perioperative nutrition within an enhanced recovery after surgery programme for colorectal surgery: a qualitative study. Colorectal Dis 2016;18:O74-80.
109. Rinninella E, Persiani R, D'Ugo D, Pennestrì F, Cicchetti A, Di Brino E, Cintoni M, Miggiano GAD, Gasbarrini A, Mele MC. NutriCatt protocol in the enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) program for colorectal surgery: the nutritional support improves clinical and cost-effectiveness outcomes. Nutrition 2018;50:74-81.
110. Beloeil H, Slim K; Francophone Group of enhanced recovery after surgery. Sustainability of anaesthesia components of an enhanced recovery program (ERP) in colorectal and orthopaedics surgery. Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med 2018; doi: 10.1016/j.accpm.2018.01.005.
111. Veziant J, Leonard D, Pereira B, Slim K; French speaking Group for Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (GRACE). How does the application of surgical components in enhanced recovery programs for colorectal surgery change over time? Surgeon 2018; doi: 10.1016/j.surge.2018.03.003.
112. Balvardi S, Pecorelli N, Castelino T, Niculiseanu P, Liberman AS, Charlebois P, Stein B, Carli F, Mayo NE, Feldman LS, Fiore JF Jr. Measuring in-hospital recovery after colorectal surgery within a well-established enhanced recovery pathway: a comparison between hospital length of stay and time to readiness for discharge. Dis Colon Rectum 2018;61:854-60.
113. Grant MC, Pio Roda CM, Canner JK, Sommer P, Galante D, Hobson D, Gearhart S, Wu CL, Wick E. The impact of anesthesia-influenced process measure compliance on length of stay: results from an enhanced recovery after surgery for colorectal surgery cohort. Anesth Analg 2018; doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000003458.
114. Braga M, Scatizzi M, Borghi F, Missana G, Radrizzani D, Gemma M; Perioperative Italian Society. Identification of core items in the enhanced recovery pathway. Clin Nutr ESPEN 2018;25:139-44.