1. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin 2018;68:394-424.
2. He J, Chen WQ. 2016 Chines Cancer Registry Annual Report. Beijing: Tsinghua Press; 2017. pp. 122-5. (in Chinese)
3. Dong W, Zhang T, Wang ZG, Liu H. Clinical outcome of small hepatocellular carcinoma after different treatments: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2014;20:10174-82.
4. Xu Q, Kobayashi S, Ye X, Meng X. Comparison of hepatic resection and radiofrequency ablation for small hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis of 16,103 patients. Sci Rep 2014;4:7252.
7. Chen JG, Chen HZ, Zhu J, Yang YL, Zhang YH. Cancer survival in patients from a hospital-based cancer registry, China. J Cancer 2018;9:851-60.
8. El-Serag HB, Marrero JA, Rudolph L, Reddy KR. Diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2008;134:1752-63.
9. Zeng HM, Chen WQ, Zheng RS, Zhang SW, Ji JS, et al. Changing cancer survival in China during 2003-15: a pooled analysis of 17 population-based cancer registries. Lancet Glob Health 2018;6:e555-67.
10. Zhou XD, Tang ZY. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: long-term outcome in 2639 cases. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 1997;24 Suppl 1:9-16.
11. Zhou XD, Tang ZY, Yu YQ, Yang BH, Lin ZY, et al. Long-term results of surgery for small primary liver cancer in 514 adults. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1996;122:59-62.
12. Chiang CJ, Lo WC, Yang YW, You SL, Chen CJ, et al. Incidence and survival of adult cancer patients in Taiwan, 2002-2012. J Formos Med Assoc 2016;115:1076-88.
13. Carville KS, MacLachlan JH, Thursfield V, Cowie BC. Hepatocellular carcinoma over three decades in Victoria, Australia: epidemiology, diagnosis and trends, 1984-2013. Intern Med J 2018;48:835-44.
14. Zhang B, Zhang B, Zhang Z, Huang Z, Chen Y, et al. 42,573 cases of hepatectomy in China: a multicenter retrospective investigation. Sci China Life Sci 2018;61:660-70.
15. Zhu YR. Clinical implication of AFP serosurvey. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 1983;5:38-40. (in Chinese)
16. Zhu YR, Chen JG, Huang XY. Hepatocellular carcinoma in Qidong County. In: Tang ZY, Wu MC, Xia RS, editors. Primary liver cancer. China Academic Publisher. Beijing: Springer-Verlag; 1989. pp. 204-22.
17. Abelev GI. Alpha-fetoprotein in ontogenesis and its association with malignant tumors. Adv Cancer Res 1971;14:295-358.
18. Alpert E, Drysdale JW, Isselbacher KJ, Schur PH. Human α-fetoprotein. Isolation, characterization, and demonstration of microheterogeneity. J Biol Chem 1972;247:3792-8.
19. Chen JG, Parkin DM, Chen QG, Lu JH, Shen QJ, et al. Screening for liver cancer: results of a randomised controlled trial in Qidong, China. J Med Screen 2003;10:204-9.
20. Zhang BH, Yang BH, Tang ZY. Randomized controlled trial of screening for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2004;130:417-22.
21. Bruix J, Sherman M; Practice Guidelines Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2005;42:1208-36.
22. Amarapurkar D, Han KH, Chan HL, Ueno Y; Asia-Pacific Working Party on Prevention of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Application of surveillance programs for hepatocellular carcinoma in the Asia-Pacific region. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;24:955-61.
23. Santi V, Trevisani F, Gramenzi A, Grignaschi A, Mirici-Cappa F, et al. Semiannual surveillance is superior to annual surveillance for the detection of early hepatocellular carcinoma and patient survival. J Hepatol 2010;53:291-7.
24. Tumor Group, Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Progress in A Kind of Fetal Protein. J Biochem Biophys 1977;9:321-37.
25. Kubota H, Storms RW, Reid LM. Variant forms of alpha-fetoprotein transcripts expressed in human hematopoietic progenitors. Implications for their developmental potential towards endoderm. J Biol Chem 2002;277:27629-35.
26. Schmelzer E, Zhang L, Bruce A, Wauthier E, Ludlow J, et al. Human hepatic stem cells from fetal and postnatal donors. J Exp Med 2007;204:1973-87.
27. Tatarinov IuS. Some clinical aspects of the study of embryo specific proteins in hepatitis, cirrhosis and primary cancer of the liver. Vestn Akad Med Nauk SSSR 1970;25:68-73.
28. O’Conor GT, Tatarinov YS, Abelev GI, Uriel J. A collaborative study for the evaluation of a serologic test for primary liver cancer. Cancer 1970;25:1091-8.
30. Tang ZY, Yang BH. Secondary prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1995;10:683-90.
31. Bretthauer M, Kalager M. Principles, effectiveness and caveats in screening for cancer. Br J Surg 2013;100:55-65.
32. Screening for squamous cervical cancer: duration of low risk after negative results of cervical cytology and its implication for screening policies. IARC working group on evaluation of cervical cancer screening programmes. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1986;293:659-64.
33. Friedman GD, Hiatt RA, Quesenberry CP Jr, Selby JV, Weiss NS. Problems in assessing screening experience in observational studies of screening efficacy: example of urinalysis screening for bladder cancer. J Med Screen 1995;2:219-23.
34. Lai MS, Yen MF, Kuo HS, Koong SL, Chen TH, et al. Efficacy of breast-cancer screening for female relatives of breast-cancer-index cases: Taiwan multicentre cancer screening (TAMCAS). Int J Cancer 1998;78:21-6.
35. Hsu CY, Yen MF, Auvinen A, Chiu YH, Chen HH. Bayesian negative-binomial-family-based multistate Markov model for the evaluation of periodic population-based cancer screening considering incomplete information and measurement errors. Stat Methods Med Res 2018;27:2519-39.
36. Duffy SW, Nagtegaal ID, Wallis M, Cafferty FH, Houssami N, et al. Correcting for lead time and length bias in estimating the effect of screen detection on cancer survival. Am J Epidemiol 2008;168:98-104.
37. Zhao C, Nguyen MH. Hepatocellular carcinoma screening and surveillance: practice guidelines and real-life practice. J Clin Gastroenterol 2016;50:120-33.
38. Day NE, Walter SD. Simplified models of screening for chronic disease: estimation procedures from mass screening programmes. Biometrics 1984;40:1-14.
39. Cucchetti A, Trevisani F, Pecorelli A, Erroi V, Farinati F, et al. Estimation of lead-time bias and its impact on the outcome of surveillance for the early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2014;61:333-41.
40. Costentin CE, Layese R, Bourcier V, Cagnot C, Marcellin P, et al. Compliance with hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance guidelines associated with increased lead-time adjusted survival of patients with compensated viral cirrhosis: a multi-center cohort study. Gastroenterology 2018;155:431-42.e10.
41. Chen JG, Zhang SW. Liver cancer epidemic in China: past, present and future. Semin Cancer Biol 2011;21:59-69.
42. Chen JG. The selection of high risk population for liver cancer: feasibility of mass screening using alpha-fetoprotein. Chin J Prev Med 1990;24:56-7. (in Chinese)
43. Ronot M, Pommier R, Dioguardi Burgio M, Purcell Y, Nahon P, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance with ultrasound: costeffectiveness, high-risk populations, uptake. Br J Radiol 2018;91:20170436.
44. Tang A, Hallouch O, Chernyak V, Kamaya A, Sirlin CB. Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma: target population for surveillance and diagnosis. Abdom Radiol (NY) 2018;43:13-25.
45. Stuver S, Trichopoulos D. In: Adami HO, Hunter D, Trichopoulos D, editors. Textbook of cancer epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press; 2008. pp. 308-32.
46. Parkin DM, Srivatanakul P, Khlat M, Chenvidhya D, Chotiwan P, et al. Liver cancer in Thailand. I. A case-control study of cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Cancer 1991;48:323-8.
47. Vatanasapt V, Martin N, Sriplung H, Chindavijak K, Sontipong S, et al. Cancer in Thailand 1988-1991. IARC Tech Rep No. 16 Lyon: IARC; 1993. pp. 64-5.
48. Dondog B, Lise M, Dondov O, Baldandorj B, Franceschi S. Hepatitis B and C virus infections in hepatocellular carcinoma and cirrhosis in Mongolia. Eur J Cancer Prev 2011;20:33-9.
49. Chuang SC, Lee YC, Hashibe M, Dai M, Zheng T, et al. Interaction between cigarette smoking and hepatitis B and C virus infection on the risk of liver cancer: a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2010;19:1261-8.
50. Mak LY, Cruz-Ramón V, Chinchilla-López P, Torres HA, LoConte NK, et al. Global epidemiology, prevention, and management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2018;38:262-79.
51. Szymañska K, Chen JG, Cui Y, Gong YY, Turner PC, et al. TP53 R249S mutations, exposure to aflatoxin, and occurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma in a cohort of chronic hepatitis B virus carriers from Qidong, China. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2009;18:1638-43.
52. Li Z, Xue J, Chen P, Chen L, Yan S, et al. Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mainland of China: a meta-analysis of published studies. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014;29:42-51.
53. Younes R, Bugianesi E. Should we undertake surveillance for HCC in patients with NAFLD? J Hepatol 2018;68:326-34.
54. Bird TG, Dimitropoulou P, Turner RM, Jenks SJ, Cusack P, et al. Alpha-fetoprotein detection of hepatocellular carcinoma leads to a standardized analysis of dynamic AFP to improve screening based detection. PLoS One 2016;11:e0156801.
55. Song P, Tang Q, Feng X, Tang W. Biomarkers: evaluation of clinical utility in surveillance and early diagnosis for hepatocellular carcinoma. Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl 2016;245:S70-6.
56. Zacharakis G, Aleid A, Aldossari KK. New and old biomarkers of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatoma Res 2018;4:65.
57. PDQ® Screening and Prevention Editorial Board. PDQ Liver (Hepatocellular) Cancer Screening (PDQ®). Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2018. Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/types/liver/hp/liver-screening-pdq. [Last accessed on 6 Jan 2019].
58. Heyward WL, Lanier AP, Bender TR, McMahon BJ, Kilkenny S, et al. Early detection of primary hepatocellular carcinoma by screening for alpha-fetoprotein in high-risk families. A case-report. Lancet 1983;2:1161-2.
59. Daniele B, Bencivenga A, Magna AS, Tinessa V. Αlpha-fetoprotein and ultrasonography screening for hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2004;127:S108-12.
60. Kondo Y, Kimura O, Shimosegawa T. Significant biomarkers for the management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin J Gastroenterol 2015;8:109-15.
61. Fu J, Wang H. Precision diagnosis and treatment of liver cancer in China. Cancer Lett 2018;412:283-8.
62. Schütte K, Schulz C, Link A, Malfertheiner P. Current biomarkers for hepatocellular carcinoma: surveillance, diagnosis and prediction of prognosis. World J Hepatol 2015;7:139-49.
63. Gupta S, Bent S, Kohlwes J. Test characteristics of alpha-fetoprotein for detecting hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C. A systematic review and critical analysis. Ann Intern Med 2003;139:46-50.
64. Huang YC, Huang CF, Chang KC, Hung SF, Wang JH, et al. Community-based screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in elderly residents in a hepatitis B-and C-endemic area. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;26:129-34.
65. Bird TG, Dimitropoulou P, Turner RM, Jenks SJ, Cusack P, et al. Alpha-fetoprotein detection of hepatocellular carcinoma leads to a standardized analysis of dynamic AFP to improve screening based detection. PLoS One 2016;11:e0156801.
66. Marrero JA, El-Serag HB. Alpha-fetoprotein should be included in the hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance guidelines of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hepatology 2011;53:1060-1. author reply 1061-2
67. Chiang JK, Chih-Wen L, Kao YH. Effect of ultrasonography surveillance in patients with liver cancer: a population-based longitudinal study. BMJ Open 2017;7:e015936.
68. Singal AG, Pillai A, Tiro J. Early detection, curative treatment, and survival rates for hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance in patients with cirrhosis: a meta-analysis. PLoS Med 2014;11:e1001624.
69. Singal A, Volk ML, Waljee A, Salgia R, Higgins P, et al. Meta-analysis: surveillance with ultrasound for early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009;30:37-47.
70. Sheu JC, Sung JL, Chen DS, Lai MY, Wang TH, et al. Early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma by real-time ultrasonography. A prospective study. Cancer 1985;56:660-6.
71. Trinchet JC, Chaffaut C, Bourcier V, Degos F, Henrion J, et al. Ultrasonographic surveillance of hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis: a randomized trial comparing 3- and 6-month periodicities. Hepatology 2011;54:1987-97.
72. Chen TH, Chen CJ, Yen MF, Lu SN, Sun CA, et al. Ultrasound screening and risk factors for death from hepatocellular carcinoma in a high risk group in Taiwan. Int J Cancer 2002;98:257-61.
73. Siripongsakun S, Vidhyarkorn S, Charuswattanakul S, Mekraksakit P, Sungkasubun P, et al. Ultrasound surveillance for cholangiocarcinoma in an endemic area: A prove of survival benefits. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018;33:1383-8.
74. Chaiteerakij R, Chattieng P, Choi J, Pinchareon N, Thanapirom K, et al. Surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma reduces mortality: an inverse probability of treatment weighted analysis. Ann Hepatol 2017;16:421-9.
75. Gannon CJ, Izzo F, Aloia TA, Pignata S, Nasti G, et al. Can hepatocellular cancer screening increase the proportion of long-term survivors? Hepatogastroenterology 2009;56:1152-6.
76. McMahon BJ, Bulkow L, Harpster A, Snowball M, Lanier A, et al. Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in Alaska natives infected with chronic hepatitis B: a 16-year population-based study. Hepatology 2000;32:842-6.
77. Bolondi L, Sofia S, Siringo S, Gaiani S, Casali A, et al. Screening programme of cirrhotic patients for early diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Gut 2001;48:251-9.
78. Toyoda H, Kumada T, Kiriyama S, Sone Y, Tanikawa M, et al. Impact of surveillance on survival of patients with initial hepatocellular carcinoma: a study from Japan. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006;4:1170-6.
79. Zhang B, Yang B. Combined alpha fetoprotein testing and ultrasonography as a surveillance test for primary liver cancer. J Med Screen 1999;6:108-10.
80. Marrero JA, Feng Z, Wang Y, Nguyen MH, Befeler AS, et al. Alpha-fetoprotein, des-gamma carboxyprothrombin, and lectin-bound alpha-fetoprotein in early hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2009;137:110-8.
81. Chang CC, Chen HH, Chang YC, Yang MY, Lo CM, et al. Computer-aided diagnosis of liver tumors on computed tomography images. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2017;145:45-51.
82. Sastre J, Díaz-Beveridge R, García-Foncillas J, Guardeño R, López C, et al. Clinical guideline SEOM: hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Transl Oncol 2015;17:988-95.
83. Pocha C, Dieperink E, McMaken KA, Knott A, Thuras P, et al. Surveillance for hepatocellular cancer with ultrasonography vs. computed tomography-a randomised study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2013;38:303-12.
84. Fukugawa Y, Namimoto T, Toya R, Saito T, Yuki H, et al. Radiation-induced liver injury after 3D-conformal radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: quantitative assessment using Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI. Acta Med Okayama 2017;71:25-9.
85. Braillon A. Hepatocellular Carcinoma Screening: Seeking Robust Evidence. Gastroenterology 2019;156:288-9.
86. Gounder PP, Bulkow LR, Meltzer MI, Bruce MG, Hennessy TW, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of hepatocellular carcinoma screening by combinations of ultrasound and alpha-fetoprotein among Alaska native people, 1983-2012. Int J Circumpolar Health 2016;75:31115.
87. Sarkar M, Stewart S, Yu A, Chen MS, Nguyen TT, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma screening practices and impact on survival among hepatitis B-infected Asian Americans. J Viral Hepat 2012;19:594-600.
88. Tong MJ, Sun HE, Hsien C, Lu DS. Surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma improves survival in Asian-American patients with hepatitis B: results from a community-based clinic. Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:826-35.
89. Hong TP, Gow PJ, Fink M, Dev A, Roberts SK, et al. Surveillance improves survival of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective population-based study. Med J Aust 2018;209:348-54.
90. Chen JG, Zhang BC, Lu JH, Chen QG, Yun ZX, et al. Review in progress of liver cancer screening in Qidong. China Cancer 1996;5:11-3. (in Chinese)
91. Chen JG. Survival analysis of 5380 registered patients with liver cancer. Chin J Cancer 1984;3:254-7. (in Chinese)
92. Yang BH, Liu KD, Tang ZY. Prelimary analysis of liver cancer screening in high risk population. Tumor 1987;7:82-3. (in Chinese)
93. Chen JG, Zhang BC, Jiang YH, Wang MR, Lu JH, et al. Studdy on screening for PLC in high risk population of an endemic area. Chin J Prev Med 1991;25:325-8. (in Chinese)
94. Zhou XP, Chen QG, Yun ZX, Shen QJ, Zhang H, et al. Determination of screening interval for liver cancer: a nested case-control study. J Nanjing Railw Med College 1996;15:226-8. (in Chinese)
95. Dong ZW, Qiao YL. The practice and discussion of population-based cancer screening program in China. China Cancer 2009;19:686-9. (in Chinese)
96. Dong ZW. Chinese technical protocols for early diagnosis and treatment of cancer. 1st ed. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2009. pp. 154-84. (in Chinese)
97. Chen JG, Zhang YH, Zhu J, Lu JH, Wang JB, et al. Early diagnosis and early treatment of liver cancer in Qidong: survival of patients and effectiveness. Chin J Oncol 2017;39:946-51. (in Chinese)
98. Bureau of Disease Control of National Health Commission of PR China, China Cancer Foundation, Expert Committee on Rural Cancer Project on Early Detection and Early Treatment.. Project report on cancer early detection and early treatment (rural area): 2017-2018. Beijing: People’s Medical House Press; 2018. pp. 26-30. (in Chinese)
99. Breau of Disease Control of National Health Commission of PR China. Technical Protocols for Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Cancer in Huaihe River Basin. Available from: http://www.doc88.com/p-4334139219880.html. [Last accessed on 6 Jan 2019].
100. Dai M, Shi JF, Li N. Design and prospective target of the cancer screening program in Urban China. Chin J Prev Med 2013;47:179-82. (in Chinese)
101. Qiu WQ, Shi JF, Guo LW, Mao AY, Huang HY, et al. Medical expenditure for liver cancer in urban China: a 10-year multicenter retrospective survey (2002-2011). J Can Res Ther 2018;14:163-70.
102. Ji M, Liu Z, Chang ET, Yu X, Wu B, et al. Mass screening for liver cancer: results from a demonstration screening project in Zhongshan City, China. Sci Rep 2018;8:12787.
103. Sherman M, Bruix J. Screening for liver cancer: the rush to judgment. Ann Intern Med 2012;157:300-1. author reply 301-2
104. Kansagara D, Papak J, Pasha AS, O’Neil M, Freeman M, et al. Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic liver disease: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2014;161:261-9.
105. Bruix J, Sherman M; American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update. Hepatology 2011;53:1020-2.
106. Poon D, Anderson BO, Chen LT, Tanaka K, Lau WY, et al. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma in Asia: consensus statement from the Asian Oncology Summit 2009. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:1111-8.
107. Ferenci P, Fried M, Labrecque D, Bruix J, Sherman M, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): a global perspective. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010;44:239-45.
108. European Association for the Study of the Liver, European Organisation For Research And Treatment Of Cancer. EASL-EORTC clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2012;56:908-43.
109. Kudo M, Izumi N, Kokudo N, Matsui O, Sakamoto M, et al. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan: consensus-based clinical practice guidelines proposed by the Japan Society of Hepatology (JSH) 2010 updated version. Dig Dis 2011;29:339-64.
110. Zhou J, Sun HC, Wang Z, Cong WM, Wang JH, et al. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of primary liver cancer in China (2017 edition). Liver Cancer 2018;7:235-60.
111. Sharma P, Saini SD, Kuhn LB, Rubenstein JH, Pardi DS, et al. Knowledge of hepatocellular carcinoma screening guidelines and clinical practices among gastroenterologists. Dig Dis Sci 2011;56:569-77.
112. Lederle FA, Pocha C. Screening for liver cancer: the rush to judgment. Ann Intern Med 2012;156:387-9.
114. Petruzziello A. Epidemiology of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) and Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Open Virol J 2018;12:26-32.
116. Moon AM, Weiss NS, Beste LA, Su F, Ho SB, et al. No association between screening for hepatocellular carcinoma and reduced cancer-related mortality in patients with cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 2018;155:1128-39.e6.
117. Lersritwimanmaen P, Nimanong S. Hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance: benefit of serum alfa-fetoprotein in real-world practice. Euroasian J Hepatogastroenterol 2018;8:83-7.
118. Poustchi H, Farrell GC, Strasser SI, Lee AU, McCaughan GW, et al. Feasibility of conducting a randomized control trial for liver cancer screening: is a randomized controlled trial for liver cancer screening feasible or still needed ? Hepatology 2011;54:1998-2004.
119. Trevisani F1, D’Intino PE, Morselli-Labate AM, Mazzella G, Accogli E, et al. Serum alpha-fetoprotein for diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic liver disease: influence of HBsAg and anti-HCV status. J Hepatol 2001;34:570-5.
120. Aghoram R, Cai P, Dickinson JA. Alpha-foetoprotein and/or liver ultrasonography for screening of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis B. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;CD002799.
122. Sherman M. Serological surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma: time to quit. J Hepatol 2010;52:614-5.
123. Forner A, Reig M, Bruix J. Alpha-fetoprotein for hepatocellular carcinoma diagnosis: the demise of a brilliant star. Gastroenterology 2009;137:26-9.
124. Cole P, Morrison AS. Basic issues in population screening for cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1980;64:1263-72.
125. Prorok PC. Epidemiologic approach for cancer screening. Problems in design and analysis of trials. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1992;14:117-28.
126. Fong ZV, Tanabe KK. The clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States, Europe, and Asia: a comprehensive and evidence-based comparison and review. Cancer 2014;120:2824-38.
127. Cancer Research UK. Liver cancer. 2016. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/liver-cancer/getting-diagnosed/screening. [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2018].
128. Simonetti J, Bulkow L, McMahon BJ, Homan C, Snowball M, et al. Clearance of hepatitis B surface antigen and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a cohort chronically infected with hepatitis B virus. Hepatology 2010;51:1531-7.
129. Kumar A. Current practices in management of hepatocellular carcinoma in India: results of an online survey. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2014;4:S140-6.
130. Eltabbakh M, Zaghla H, Abdel-Razek W, Elshinnawy H, Ezzat S, et al. Utility and cost-effectiveness of screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in a resource-limited setting. Med Oncol 2015;32:432.
131. Ayuso C, Rimola J, Vilana R, Burrel M, Darnell A, et al. Diagnosis and staging of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): current guidelines. Eur J Radiol 2018;101:72-81.
132. Shih ST, Crowley S, Sheu JC. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a two-stage screening intervention for hepatocellular carcinoma in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc 2010;109:39-55.
133. Lee YJ, Lee JM, Lee JS, Lee HY, Park BH, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma: diagnostic performance of multidetector CT and MR imaging-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Radiology 2015;275:97-109.
134. Li Q, Liu F, Wei YG, Li B. Quality assessment of Chinese clinical practice guidelines of primary hepatic carcinoma from 2016 to 2017. Chin J Evidence-Based Med 2018;18:1109-13. (in Chinese)
135. Peterson MS, Baron RL, Marsh JW Jr, Oliver JH 3rd, Confer SR, et al. Pretransplantation surveillance for possible hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis: epidemiology and CT-based tumor detection rate in 430 cases with surgical pathologic correlation. Radiology 2000;217:743-9.
136. Lv GS, Chen L, Wang HY. Research progress and prospect of liver cancer in China. Chin Bull Life Sci 2015;7:237-48. (in Chinese)
137. Waidely E1, Al-Yuobi AR, Bashammakh AS, El-Shahawi MS, Leblanc RM. Serum protein biomarkers relevant to hepatocellular carcinoma and their detection. Analyst 2016;141:36-44.
138. Anwar SL, Lehmann U. MicroRNAs: emerging novel clinical biomarkers for Hepatocellular Carcinomas. J Clin Med 2015;4:1631-50.
139. Lou J, Zhang L, Lv S, Zhang C, Jiang S. Biomarkers for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Biomark Cancer 2017;9:1-9.
140. Lok AS, Sterling RK, Everhart JE, Wright EC, Hoefs JC, et al. Des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin and alpha-fetoprotein as biomarkers for the early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2010;138:493-502.
141. Yang JD, Patel T. Early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma-expanding the utility of circulating tumor Markers. Hepatology 2019;69:1855-7.
142. Duarte-Salles T, Misra S, Stepien M, Plymoth A, Muller D, et al. Circulating osteopontin and prediction of hepatocellular carcinoma development in a large European population. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2016;9:758-65.
143. Rabeneck L, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I. Assessment of a cancer screening program. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2015;29:979-85.
144. Jung M. National cancer screening programs and evidence-based healthcare policy in South Korea. Health Policy 2015;119:26-32.
145. Beste LA, Ioannou GN, Yang Y, Chang MF, Ross D, et al. Improved surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma with a primary care-oriented clinical reminder. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;13:172-9.
147. WHO. Screening for various cancers. Available from: https://www.who.int/cancer/detection/variouscancer/en/. [Last accessed on 6 Jan 2019].