1. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin 2018;68:394-424.
2. Zhong JH, Peng NF, You XM, Ma L, Xiang X, et al. Tumor stage and primary treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma at a large tertiary hospital in China: a real-world study. Oncotarget 2017;8:18296-302.
3. Zhong JH, Ke Y, Gong WF, Xiang BD, Ma L, et al. Hepatic resection associated with good survival for selected patients with intermediate and advanced-stage hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg 2014;260:329-40.
4. A new prognostic system for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective study of 435 patients: the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP) investigators. Hepatology 1998;28:751-5.
5. Chevret S, Trinchet JC, Mathieu D, Rached AA, Beaugrand M, et al. A new prognostic classification for predicting survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Groupe d’Etude et de Traitement du Carcinome Hepatocellulaire. J Hepatol 1999;31:133-41.
6. Llovet JM, Bru C, Bruix J. Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: the BCLC staging classification. Semin Liver Dis 1999;19:329-38.
7. Sang W, Chan SL, Chan AW. Proposal and validation of a new model to estimate survival for hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Eur J Cancer 2016;63:203-5.
8. Zhou J, Sun HC, Wang Z, Cong WM, Wang JH, et al. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of primary liver cancer in China (2017 Edition). Liver Cancer 2018;7:235-60.
9. Leung TW, Tang AM, Zee B, Lau WY, Lai PB, et al. Construction of the Chinese university prognostic index for hepatocellular carcinoma and comparison with the TNM staging system, the Okuda staging system, and the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program staging system: a study based on 926 patients. Cancer 2002;94:1760-9.
10. Yau T, Tang VY, Yao TJ, Fan ST, Lo CM, et al. Development of Hong Kong Liver Cancer staging system with treatment stratification for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2014;146:1691-700.
11. Kudo M, Chung H, Osaki Y. Prognostic staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma (CLIP score): its value and limitations, and a proposal for a new staging system, the Japan Integrated Staging score (JIS score). J Gastroenterol 2003;38:207-15.
12. Farinati F, Vitale A, Spolverato G, Pawlik TM, Huo TL, et al. Development and validation of a new prognostic system for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS Med 2016;13:e1002006.
13. European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2018;69:182-236.
14. Heimbach JK, Kulik LM, Finn RS, Sirlin CB, Abecassis MM, et al. AASLD guidelines for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2018;67:358-80.
15. Kolly P, Reeves H, Sangro B, Knopfli M, Candinas D, et al. Assessment of the Hong Kong Liver Cancer Staging System in Europe. Liver Int 2016;36:911-7.
16. Kim KM, Sinn DH, Jung SH, Gwak GY, Paik YH, et al. The recommended treatment algorithms of the BCLC and HKLC staging systems: does following these always improve survival rates for HCC patients? Liver Int 2016;36:1490-7.
17. Bolondi L, Burroughs A, Dufour JF, Galle PR, Mazzaferro V, et al. Heterogeneity of patients with intermediate (BCLC B) hepatocellular carcinoma: proposal for a subclassification to facilitate treatment decisions. Semin Liver Dis 2012;32:348-59.
18. Mo DC, Jia RR, Zhong JH. Hepatic resection compared to chemoembolization in intermediate to advanced-stage HCC: a comment for moving forward. Hepatology 2018. Epub ahead of print, DOI: 10.1002/hep.30409
19. Wang YY, Zhong JH, Xu HF, Xu G, Wang LJ, et al. A modified staging of early and intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma based on single tumour >7 cm and multiple tumours beyond up-to-seven criteria. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2019;49:202-10.
20. Zhong JH, Rodriguez AC, Ke Y, Wang YY, Wang L, et al. Hepatic resection as a safe and effective treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma involving a single large tumor, multiple tumors, or macrovascular invasion. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015;94:e396.
21. Zhong JH, Wu FX, Li H. Hepatic resection associated with good survival for selected patients with multinodular hepatocellular carcinoma. Tumour Biol 2014;35:8355-8.
22. Hyun MH, Lee YS, Kim JH, Lee CU, Jung YK, et al. Hepatic resection compared to chemoembolization in intermediate- to advanced-stage hepatocellular carcinoma: A meta-analysis of high-quality studies. Hepatology 2018;68:977-93.
23. Yuan BH, Yuan WP, Li RH, Xiang BD, Gong WF, et al. Propensity score-based comparison of hepatic resection and transarterial chemoembolization for patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Tumour Biol 2016;37:2435-41.
24. Peng ZW, Guo RP, Zhang YJ, Lin XJ, Chen MS, et al. Hepatic resection versus transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombus. Cancer 2012;118:4725-36.
25. Kokudo T, Hasegawa K, Matsuyama Y, Takayama T, Izumi N, et al. Survival benefit of liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma associated with portal vein invasion. J Hepatol 2016;65:938-43.
26. Kokudo T, Hasegawa K, Matsuyama Y, Takayama T, Izumi N, et al. Liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma associated with hepatic vein invasion: a Japanese nationwide survey. Hepatology 2017;66:510-7.
27. de la Torre MA, Buades-Mateu J, de la Rosa PA, Lue A, Bustamante FJ, et al. A comparison of survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal vein invasion treated by radioembolization or sorafenib. Liver Int 2016;36:1206-12.
28. Xiang X, Lau WY, Wu ZY, Zhao C, Ma YL, et al. Transarterial chemoembolization versus best supportive care for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombus: a multicenter study. EJSO 2019. Available from: https://www.ejso.com/article/S0748-7983(19)30387-7/abstract. [Last accessed on 23 Apr 2019].
29. Zhong JH, Torzilli G, Xing H, Li C, Han J, et al. Controversies and evidence of hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. BBA Clin 2016;6:125-30.
30. Zhong JH, Ma L, Xiang BD, Li LQ, Yang T. We’re still in an update process of the BCLC system. Ann Surg 2018;267:e23-e4.
31. Zhong JH, Li LQ. Postoperative adjuvant transarterial chemoembolization for participants with hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis. Hepatol Res 2010;40:943-53.
32. Huang G, Lau WY, Wang ZG, Pan ZY, Yuan SX, et al. Antiviral therapy improves postoperative survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg 2015;261:56-66.
33. Huang G, Li PP, Lau WY, Pan ZY, Zhao LH, et al. Antiviral therapy reduces hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence in patients with low HBV-DNA levels: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Surg 2018;268:943-54.
34. Shen YC, Hsu C, Chen LT, Cheng CC, Hu FC, et al. Adjuvant interferon therapy after curative therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): a meta-regression approach. J Hepatol 2010;52:889-94.
35. Mo HY, Liao YY, You XM, Cucchetti A, Yuan BH, et al. Timely meta-analysis on the efficacy of adoptive immunotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma patients after curative therapy. PLoS One 2017;12:e0174222.
36. Zhong JH, Mo XS, Xiang BD, Yuan WP, Jiang JF, et al. Postoperative use of the chemopreventive vitamin K2 analog in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One 2013;8:e58082.
37. Zhong JH, Ma L, Li LQ. Postoperative therapy options for hepatocellular carcinoma. Scand J Gastroenterol 2014;49:649-61.
38. Zhong JH, Zhong QL, Li LQ, Li H. Adjuvant and chemopreventive therapies for resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a literature review. Tumour Biol 2014;35:9459-68.