1. US Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2009;150:396-404.
2. Ittaman SV, VanWormer JJ, Rezkalla SH. The role of aspirin in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Clin Med Res 2014;12:147-54.
3. Xie M, Shan Z, Zhang Y, Chen S, Yang W, Bao W, Rong Y, Yu X, Hu FB, Liu L. Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and subgroup analysis by sex and diabetes status. PLoS One 2014;9:e90286.
4. Bibbins-Domingo K; US Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin use for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and colorectal cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2016;164:836-45.
5. Baigent C, Blackwell L, Collins R, Emberson J, Godwin J, Peto R, Buring J, Hennekens C, Kearney P, Meade T, Patrono C, Roncaglioni MC, Zanchetti A; Antithrombotic Trialists' (ATT) Collaboration. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials. Lancet 2009;373:1849-60.
6. Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2003;26 Suppl 1:S5-20.
7. Touboul PJ, Hennerici MG, Meairs S, Adams H, Amarenco P, Bornstein N, Csiba L, Desvarieux M, Ebrahim S, Hernandez Hernandez R, Jaff M, Kownator S, Naqvi T, Prati P, Rundek T, Sitzer M, Schminke U, Tardif JC, Taylor A, Vicaut E, Woo KS. Mannheim carotid intima-media thickness and plaque consensus (2004-2006-2011). An update on behalf of the advisory board of the 3rd, 4th and 5th watching the risk symposia, at the 13th, 15th and 20th European Stroke Conferences, Mannheim, Germany, 2004, Brussels, Belgium, 2006, and Hamburg, Germany, 2011. Cerebrovasc Dis 2012;34:290-6.
8. Kim SN, Lee HS, Nam HS, Lee HR, Kim JM, Han SW, Park JH, Baik JS, Kim JY. Carotid intima-media thickness is inversely related to bone density in female but not in male patients with acute stroke. J Neuroimaging 2016;26:83-8.
9. Hira RS, Kennedy K, Nambi V, Jneid H, Alam M, Basra SS, Ho PM, Deswal A, Ballantyne CM, Petersen LA, Virani SS. Frequency and practice-level variation in inappropriate aspirin use for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: insights from the National Cardiovascular Disease Registry's Practice Innovation and Clinical Excellence registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;65:111-21.
10. Mainous AG, Tanner RJ, Shorr RI, Limacher MC. Use of aspirin for primary and secondary cardiovascular disease prevention in the United States, 2011-2012. J Am Heart Assoc 2014;3:e000989.
11. Manes C, Giacci L, Sciartilli A, D'Alleva A, De Caterina R. Aspirin overprescription in primary cardiovascular prevention. Thromb Res 2006;118:471-7.
12. Miedema MD, Huguelet J, Virani SS. Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: in need of clarity. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2016;18:4.
13. Mora S, Ames JM, Manson JE. Low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: shared decision making in clinical practice. JAMA 2016;316:709-10.
15. Yusuf S, Hawken S, Ounpuu S, Dans T, Avezum A, Lanas F, McQueen M, Budaj A, Pais P, Varigos J, Lisheng L. Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study. Lancet 2004;364:937-52.
16. Cannon CP. Cardiovascular disease and modifiable cardiometabolic risk factors. Clin Cornerstone 2007;8:11-28.
17. Touboul PJ, Labreuche J, Vicaut E, Amarenco P. Carotid intima-media thickness, plaques, and Framingham risk score as independent determinants of stroke risk. Stroke 2005;36:1741-5.
18. Prati P, Tosetto A, Vanuzzo D, Bader G, Casaroli M, Canciani L, Castellani S, Touboul PJ. Carotid intima media thickness and plaques can predict the occurrence of ischemic cerebrovascular events. Stroke 2008;39:2470-6.
19. Jonas DE, Feltner C, Amick HR, Sheridan S, Zheng ZJ, Watford DJ, Carter JL, Rowe CJ, Harris R. Screening for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2014;161:336-46.
20. Bineau S, Dufouil C, Helmer C, Ritchie K, Empana JP, Ducimetiere P, Alperovitch A, Bousser MG, Tzourio C. Framingham stroke risk function in a large population-based cohort of elderly people: the 3C study. Stroke 2009;40:1564-70.