1. Burnett MG, Zager EL. Pathophysiology of peripheral nerve injury: a brief review. Neurosurg Focus 2004;16:E1.
2. Geuna S, Raimondo S, Ronchi G, Di Scipio F, Tos P, Czaja K, Fornaro M. Chapter 3: histology of the peripheral nerve and changes occurring during nerve regeneration. Int Rev Neurobiol 2009;87:27-46.
4. Daly W, Yao L, Zeugolis D, Windebank A, Pandit A. A biomaterials approach to peripheral nerve regeneration: bridging the peripheral nerve gap and enhancing functional recovery. J R Soc Interface 2012;9:202-21.
5. Geuna S, Tos P, Titolo P, Ciclamini D, Beningo T, Battiston B. Update on nerve repair by biological tubulization. J Brachial Plex Peripher Nerve Inj 2014;9:1-6.
6. Nectow AR, Marra KG, Kaplan DL. Biomaterials for the development of peripheral nerve guidance conduits. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 2012;18:40-50.
7. Hoffman-Kim D, Mitchel JA, Bellamkonda RV. Topography, cell response, and nerve regeneration. Annu Rev Biomed Eng 2010;12:203-31.
8. Cunha C, Panseri S, Antonini S. Emerging nanotechnology approaches in tissue engineering for peripheral nerve regeneration. Nanomedicine 2011;7:50-9.
9. Sun M, McGowan M, Kingham PJ, Terenghi G, Downes S. Novel thin-walled nerve conduit with microgrooved surface patterns for enhanced peripheral nerve repair. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2010;21:2765-74.
10. Mitchel JA, Hoffman-Kim D. Cellular scale anisotropic topography guides Schwann cell motility. Plos One 2011;6:e24316.
11. Mobasseri SA, Terenghi G, Downes S. Micro-structural geometry of thin films intended for the inner lumen of nerve conduits affects nerve repair. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2013;24:1639-47.
12. Madduri S, Papaloizos M, Gander B. Trophically and topographically functionalized silk fibroin nerve conduits for guided peripheral nerve regeneration. Biomaterials 2010;31:2323-34.
13. Yu LM, Miller FD, Shoichet MS. The use of immobilized neurotrophins to support neuron survival and guide nerve fiber growth in compartmentalized chambers. Biomaterials 2010;31:6987-99.
14. Mukhatyar V, Pai B, Clements I, Srinivasan A, Huber R, Mehta A, Mukhopadaya S, Rudra S, Patel G, Karumbaiah L, Bellamkonda R. Molecular sequelae of topographically guided peripheral nerve repair. Ann Biomed Eng 2014;42:1436-55.
15. Tansey KE, Seifert JL, Botterman B, Delgado MR, Romero MI. Peripheral nerve repair through multi-luminal biosynthetic implants. Ann Biomed Eng 2011;39:1815-28.
16. FitzGerald JJ, Lago N, Benmerah S, Serra J, Watling CP, Cameron RE, Tarte E, Lacour SP, McMahon SB, Fawcett JW. A regenerative microchannel neural interface for recording from and stimulating peripheral axons in vivo. J Neural Eng 2012;9:016010.
17. Zheng L, Cui HF. Enhancement of nerve regeneration along a chitosan conduit combined with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2012;23:2291-302.
18. Scott JB, Afshari M, Kotek R, Saul JM. The promotion of axon extension in vitro using polymer-templated fibrin scaffolds. Biomaterials 2011;32:4830-9.
19. Fitzgerald JJ, Lacour SP, McMahon SB, Fawcett JW. Microchannels as axonal amplifiers. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 2008;55:1136-46.
20. Lacour SP, Benmerah S, Tarte E, FitzGerald J, Serra J, McMahon S, Fawcett J, Graudejus O, Yu Z, Morrison B 3rd. Flexible and stretchable micro-electrodes for in vitro and in vivo neural interfaces. Med Biol Eng Comput 2010;48:945-54.
21. Yanagida H, Tanaka J, Maruo S. Immunocytochemical localization of a cell adhesion molecule, integrin alpha5beta1, in nerve growth cones. J Orthop Sci 1999;4:353-60.
22. Buettner HM, Pittman RN. Quantitative effects of laminin concentration on neurite outgrowth in vitro. Dev Biol 1991;145:266-76.
23. Whitworth IH, Brown RA, Dore C, Green CJ, Terenghi G. Orientated mats of fibronectin as a conduit material for use in peripheral nerve repair. J Hand Surg Br 1995;20:429-36.
24. Tom VJ, Doller CM, Malouf AT, Silver J. Astrocyte-associated fibronecti is critical for axonal regeneration in adult white matter. J Neurosci 2004;24:9282-90.
25. Woolford TJ, Toriumi DM. The enhancement of nerve regeneration using growth factors: a brief review. J Long Term Eff Med Implants 1995;5:19-26.
26. Labrador RO, Buti M, Navarro X. Influence of collagen and laminin gels concentration on nerve regeneration after resection and tube repair. Exp Neurol 1998;149:243-52.
27. de Luca AC, Faroni A, Downes S, Terenghi G. Differentiated adipose-derived stem cells act synergistically with RGD-modified surfaces to improve neurite outgrowth in a co-culture model. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2013; doi: 10.1002/term.1804.
28. de Luca AC, Stevens JS, Schroeder SL, Guilbaud JB, Saiani A, Downes S, Terenghi G. Immobilization of cell-binding peptides on poly-epsilon-caprolactone film surface to biomimic the peripheral nervous system. J Biomed Mater Res A 2013;101:491-501.
29. Wei YT, Tian WM, Yu X, Cui FZ, Hou SP, Xu QY. Hyaluronic acid hydrogels with IKVAV peptides for tissue repair and axonal regeneration in an injured rat brain. Biomed Mater 2007;2:S142-6.
30. Hosseinkhani H, Hiraoka Y, Li CH, Chen YR, Yu DS, Hong PD, Ou KL. Engineering three-dimensional collagen-IKVAV matrix to mimic neural microenvironment. ACS Chem Neurosci 2013;4:1229-35.
31. Masaeli E, Wieringa PA, Morshed M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Sadri S, van Blitterswijk CA, Moroni L. Peptide functionalized polyhydroxyalkanoate nanofibrous scaffolds enhance Schwann cells activity. Nanomedicine 2014;10:1559-69.
32. Kalbermatten DF, Kingham PJ, Mahay D, Mantovani C, Pettersson J, Raffoul W, Balcin H, Pierer G, Terenghi G. Fibrin matrix for suspension of regenerative cells in an artificial nerve conduit. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2008;61:669-75.
33. Akassoglou K, Yu WM, Akpinar P, Strickland S. Fibrin inhibits peripheral nerve remyelination by regulating Schwann cell differentiation. Neuron 2002;33:861-75.
34. Jin J, Limburg S, Joshi SK, Landman R, Park M, Zhang Q, Kim HT, Kuo AC. Peripheral nerve repair in rats using composite hydrogel-filled aligned nanofiber conduits with incorporated nerve growth factor. Tissue Eng Part A 2013;19:2138-46.
35. de Luca AC, Lacour SP, Raffoul W, di Summa PG. Extracellular matrix components in peripheral nerve repair: how to affect neural cellular response and nerve regeneration? Neural Regen Res 2014;9:1943-8.
36. di Summa PG, Kalbermatten DF, Raffoul W, Terenghi G, Kingham PJ. Extracellular matrix molecules enhance the neurotrophic effect of Schwann cell-like differentiated adipose-derived stem cells and increase cell survival under stress conditions. Tissue Eng Part A 2013;19:368-79.
37. Berrocal YA, Almeida VW, Gupta R, Levi AD. Transplantation of Schwann cells in a collagen tube for the repair of large, segmental peripheral nerve defects in rats. J Neurosurg 2013;119:720-32.
38. Haastert K, Lipokatic E, Fischer M, Timmer M, Grothe C. Differentially promoted peripheral nerve regeneration by grafted Schwann cells over-expressing different FGF-2 isoforms. Neurobiol Dis 2006;21:138-53.
39. Tannemaat MR, Verhaagen J, Malessy M. The application of viral vectors to enhance regeneration after peripheral nerve repair. Neurol Res 2008;30:1039-46.
40. Godinho MJ, Lip T, Pollett MA, Goodman D, Hodgetts SI, Sweetman I, Walters M, Verhaagen J, Plant GW, Harvey AR. Immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and functional analysis of axonal regeneration through peripheral nerve grafts containing Schwann cells expressing BDNF, CNTF or NT3. Plos One 2013;8:e69987.
41. Tohill M, Terenghi G. Stem-cell plasticity and therapy for injuries of the peripheral nervous system. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 2004;40:17-24.
42. Keilhoff G, Goihl A, Stang F, Wolf G, Fansa H. Peripheral nerve tissue engineering: autologous Schwann cells vs. transdifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells. Tissue Eng Part A 2006;12:1451-65.
43. Hu N, Wu H, Xue C, Gong Y, Wu J, Xiao Z, Yang Y, Ding F, Gu X. Long-term outcome of the repair of 50 mm long median nerve defects in rhesus monkeys with marrow mesenchymal stem cells-containing, chitosan-based tissue engineered nerve grafts. Biomaterials 2013;34:100-11.
44. Ding F, Wu J, Yang Y, Hu W, Zhu Q, Tang X, Liu J, Gu X. Use of tissue-engineered nerve grafts consisting of a chitosan/poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid)-based scaffold included with bone marrow mesenchymal cells for bridging 50-mm dog sciatic nerve gaps. Tissue Eng Part A 2010;16:3779-90.
45. Oliveira JT, Almeida FM, Biancalana A, Baptista AF, Tomaz MA, Melo PA, Martinez AM. Mesenchymal stem cells in a polycaprolactone conduit enhance median-nerve regeneration, prevent decrease of creatine phosphokinase levels in muscle, and improve functional recovery in mice. Neuroscience 2010;170:1295-303.
46. Zuk PA, Zhu M, Mizuno H, Huang J, Futrell JW, Katz AJ, Benhaim P, Lorenz HP, Hedrick MH. Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for cell-based therapies. Tissue Eng Part A 2001;7:211-28.
47. Kingham PJ, Kalbermatten DF, Mahay D, Armstrong SJ, Wiberg M, Terenghi G. Adipose-derived stem cells differentiate into a Schwann cell phenotype and promote neurite outgrowth in vitro. Exp Neurol 2007;207:267-74.
48. Strem BM, Hicok KC, Zhu M, Wulur I, Alfonso Z, Schreiber RE, Fraser JK, Hedrick MH. Multipotential differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells. Keio J Med 2005;54:132-41.
49. di Summa PG, Kingham PJ, Raffoul W, Wiberg M, Terenghi G, Kalbermatten DF. Adipose-derived stem cells enhance peripheral nerve regeneration. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010;63:1544-52.
50. Gimble J, Guilak F. Adipose-derived adult stem cells: isolation, characterization, and differentiation potential. Cytotherapy 2003;5:362-9.
51. Xu Y, Liu L, Li Y, Zhou C, Xiong F, Liu Z, Gu R, Hou X, Zhang C. Myelin-forming ability of Schwann cell-like cells induced from rat adipose-derived stem cells in vitro. Brain Res 2008;1239:49-55.
52. Reid AJ, Sun M, Wiberg M, Downes S, Terenghi G, Kingham PJ. Nerve repair with adipose-derived stem cells protects dorsal root ganglia neurons from apoptosis. Neuroscience 2011;199:515-22.
53. Hart AM, Terenghi G, Kellerth JO, Wiberg M. Sensory neuroprotection, mitochondrial preservation, and therapeutic potential of N-acetyl-cysteine after nerve injury. Neuroscience 2004;125:91-101.
54. Welin D, Novikova LN, Wiberg M, Kellerth JO, Novikov LN. Effects of N-acetyl-cysteine on the survival and regeneration of sural sensory neurons in adult rats. Brain Res 2009;1287:58-66.
55. Reid AJ, Shawcross SG, Hamilton AE, Wiberg M, Terenghi G. N-acetylcysteine alters apoptotic gene expression in axotomised primary sensory afferent subpopulations. Neurosci Res 2009;65:148-55.
56. Erba P, Mantovani C, Kalbermatten DF, Pierer G, Terenghi G, Kingham PJ. Regeneration potential and survival of transplanted undifferentiated adipose tissue-derived stem cells in peripheral nerve conduits. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010;63:e811-7.
57. Shen CC, Yang YC, Liu BS. Peripheral nerve repair of transplanted undifferentiated adipose tissue-derived stem cells in a biodegradable reinforced nerve conduit. J Biomed Mater Res A 2012;100:48-63.
58. di Summa PG, Kalbermatten DF, Pralong E, Raffoul W, Kingham PJ, Terenghi G. Long-term in vivo regeneration of peripheral nerves through bioengineered nerve grafts. Neuroscience 2011;181:278-91.
59. Orbay H, Uysal AC, Hyakusoku H, Mizuno H. Differentiated and undifferentiated adipose-derived stem cells improve function in rats with peripheral nerve gaps. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2012;65:657-64.
60. Tang X, Xue C, Wang Y, Ding F, Yang Y, Gu X. Bridging peripheral nerve defects with a tissue engineered nerve graft composed of an in vitro cultured nerve equivalent and a silk fibroin-based scaffold. Biomaterials 2012;33:3860-7.
61. Adams AM, Arruda EM, Larkin LM. Use of adipose-derived stem cells to fabricate scaffoldless tissue-engineered neural conduits in vitro. Neuroscience 2012;201:349-56.
65. Schmidt CE, Leach JB. Neural tissue engineering: strategies for repair and regeneration. Annu Rev Biomed Eng 2003;5:293-347.
66. Kingham PJ, Terenghi G. Bioengineered nerve regeneration and muscle reinnervation. J Anat 2006;209:511-26.
67. Gordon T, Tyreman N, Raji MA. The basis for diminished functional recovery after delayed peripheral nerve repair. J Neurosci 2011;31:5325-34.
68. Pfister LA, Papaloizos M, Merkle HP, Gander B. Nerve conduits and growth factor delivery in peripheral nerve repair. J Peripher Nerv Syst 2007;12:65-82.
69. Yang Y, De Laporte L, Rives CB, Jang JH, Lin WC, Shull KR, Shea LD. Neurotrophin releasing single and multiple lumen nerve conduits. J Control Release 2005;104:433-46.
70. Madduri S, di Summa P, Papaloizos M, Kalbermatten D, Gander B. Effect of controlled co-delivery of synergistic neurotrophic factors on early nerve regeneration in rats. Biomaterials 2010;31:8402-9.
71. Madduri S, Feldman K, Tervoort T, Papaloizos M, Gander B. Collagen nerve conduits releasing the neurotrophic factors GDNF and NGF. J Control Release 2010;143:168-74.
72. Tang S, Zhu J, Xu Y, Xiang AP, Jiang MH, Quan D. The effects of gradients of nerve growth factor immobilized PCLA scaffolds on neurite outgrowth in vitro and peripheral nerve regeneration in rats. Biomaterials 2013;34:7086-96.
73. Cao J, Sun C, Zhao H, Xiao Z, Chen B, Gao J, Zheng T, Wu W, Wu S, Wang J, Dai J. The use of laminin modified linear ordered collagen scaffolds loaded with laminin-binding ciliary neurotrophic factor for sciatic nerve regeneration in rats. Biomaterials 2011;32:3939-48.
74. Hamers PT, Lankhorst AJ, Van Laar TJ, Veldhuis WB, Gispen WH. Automated quantitative gait analysis during overground locomotin in the rat: its application to spinal cord contusion and transection injuries. J Neurotrauma 2001;18:187-201.
75. Bozkurt A, Deumens R, Scheffel J, O'Dey DM, Weis J, Joosten EA, Fuhrmann T, Brook GA, Pallua N. CatWalk gait analysis in assessment of functional recovery after sciatic nerve injury. J Neurosci Methods 2008;173:91-8.